Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Disclosure: what you do and don’t have to tell // Friday, 7 April , 12pm AEST

Career Chat.jpg

This week’s topic will cover disclosure of mental illness in job interviews and workplace.

The topic will cover possible solutions on how to manage disclosing mental illness in the workplace, and provide real life scenarios where this has been effective.

Disclosure can be very difficult for individuals who are experiencing mental illness. The forum will encourage people to also share their experiences of disclosing their illness to employers.

Join us this Friday from 12pm AEST

Two things you can do now

1) Hit 'Like' below to get an email notification on the day

2) Can't make the session? Leave your question below to be answered during the session

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Career Chat // Disclosure: what you do and don’t have to tell // Friday, 7 April , 12pm AEST

Hi @Zoe7 , just a reminder that Career Chat kicks off in 10 mins 🙂

Re: Career Chat // Disclosure: what you do and don’t have to tell // Friday, 7 April , 12pm AEST

Good afternoon everyone, and welcome to Career chat. My name is Ali, and I am the Career Planner for Ostara Australia. This week’s topic will cover disclosure of mental illness in job interviews and workplace. The topic will cover possible solutions on how to manage disclosing mental illness in the workplace, and provide real life scenarios where this has been effective.

From the clients that I have worked with, I have noticed that disclosure of a health condition can be very stressful for many people, as they are worried that disclosing will cause a potential employer to lose interest in a job interview, or that it could cause a change in response from an employer once they find out. Today we will break down disclosure, and how to effectively disclose your condition to an employer. As a general rule, I believe that if you decide to disclose a particular condition, you need to also provide the management plan that you are utilising to manage that condition. We will use the example of a person who has been diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression. Disclosure should cover the following points:

• Disclosing the Anxiety and Depression to the employer/ colleagues
  • Educating the employer about the lived experience of the condition, and how the condition impacts the person on a daily basis
  • Explaining your management plan, such as: Seeing a Psychologist/ Psychiatrist, attending support group, taking medication, focusing on diet and exercise, following mindfulness plan set by psychologist etc. This shows the employer that you are managing you conditions well, and that the impact at work should be limited

I have noticed that proper disclosure can be the difference between a client being successful at an interview or not. If you do not explain your management plan for your condition, this could cause the employer to feel that you may be an unreliable employee.

We had a particular client who was looking for warehousing type work, but had been to approximately 10 interviews, and was unsuccessful. He was simply saying “I have Anxiety and Depression”, and leaving it at that.

Once he worked on his proper disclosure plan, he was successful and is now working fulltime!

I’d like to hear your experiences of disclosure, and your opinions of proper disclosure.

Sorry @NikNik I've been on helpline for a while so missed this today - my apologies!

Hi @alialsaffar

Is this discussion ongoing?

Yes it is until 3pm.

Feel free to make any commens in relation to my post, or just anything in general

Sorry I missed this. I used to get email notifications for career chats and must have turned them off some months back somehow... (will try to figure out how to turn them back on). I would have asked if the type of job matters to the original advice. I find it hard to imagine that any disclosure would not rule me out of a job I applied for.

Hi @-Rayne-
If you 'Like' the initial posts within Career Chat in the lead up to the session, we will @mention you before the session starts 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance