Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Career pathways // Fri. 16 June, 12pm AEST

Career Chat.jpg

At different times in our lives we can find ourselves in different jobs, or going into different career paths. Some of these jobs will not necessarily be our dream job, but a job that will help us land our dream job. Other times, the job can be a survival job to help us get through.

At times, we may not know how to carve out a pathway to get to our dream job. 

This week we will explore the many facets of carving out our career pathway. We will also share ideas and tools on how to help us identify what types of jobs we may be suitable to and suggestions on how to get there.

Hi @Former-Member just a nudge to remind you this is on 🙂 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Career Chat // Career pathways // Fri. 16 June, 12pm AEST

Career pathways is a variety of different positions that result in the persons career plan. This should include both short term (achievable) and long term goals, that make up the person ideal career/ dream job.

A career pathway if often seen as a ladder, where the person starts at the bottom of the ladder, and make their way to the very top of the ladder, but this is a common misconception. The reality is, a lot of people go through periods where step down the ladder is necessary, or even a change in career. This can be caused by a variety of different reasons, such as mental/ physical health, family life etc. Statically speaking, the average person will change jobs up to 15 times before they retire (ABS, 2009).

When setting short and long term goals, it is important to ensure that the goals are S.M.A.R.T:

S: Specific

M: Measureable

A: Attainable/ realistic

R: Relevant

T: Time bound

Example of a Career Pathway:

Retail: Retail Sales Clerk → Assistant Manager → Department Manager  →

Store Manager → Regional Manager

Can anyone think of other examples of a career pathway?

What is your career plan, and what pathway are you planning on taking to achieve it?

I made a career change - and a big chunk of the plan was getting a degree in teaching. This was tough because my plan wasn't as simple as going back to uni.... I also had to plan how I was going to make enough money elsewhere, how I was going to care for the kids and keep up other responsibilities. 

But if I didn't have that well planned out, I probably wouldn't have made it through the degree 🙂

@Eagle often a career change is much more difficult than what is initially thought.

I am glad to hear that you made it through your degree.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance