Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: COMING UP: Topic Tuesday // Tues, 22 March, 7pm AEDT // Caring for someone with bipolar

thanks @Mama_Penguin, his private health kicks in on April 1, so I will look into it.

Re: COMING UP: Topic Tuesday // Tues, 22 March, 7pm AEDT // Caring for someone with bipolar

I strategy I have used recently. My wife and I did some traveling whilst she was suffering from depression, the simple things like sharing the work load like washing clothes became a sore point. We now save a little extra money for laundry and alike. We than can focus on things like mindfulness to start each day and make each day enjoyable. This helps when she is anxious and trying new things (by giving me time to help her)

One of the most important things I've learnt and appreciated about being a carer is how to be assertive. No one will be a better advocate for your loved one than you! No one knows them better than you! Being assertive doesn't mean being pushy. For me, its about educating myself and being strong enough to question those in authority.

Great. There is a 2 month waiting period for psychiatric services for most health funds I believe.

That's awesome @9350 - being prepared by putting that money aside must just make it that little bit easier.

Thank you for sharing your strategy!

yes I think you are spot on...he actually volunteers for St Johns because he wants to help people...I feel a bit selfish expecting him to care for me because I know he does deep down...but it can hurt sometimes. We were so close as I was a single mum until he was 16.

yes that is correct, we have been counting the days 🙂

Okay Nik Nik, I think you might like to hear this, since it's a sign that at long last the media is beginning to respect mental illness and stop using offensive words to describe it. My daughter Simone, who is an actress, had a long running role in the TV show Neighbours playing a character with bi polar disorder. At first she refused to say certain lines, pointing out to the director and writers that the words were stigmatic.
She also strongly questioned that someone with bipolar disorder would act/react as directed in certain circumstances . She asked if she could ring her brother, my son who has bipolar, to clarify this.The response of the producer, director and writers was unbelievable. They immediately changed the stigmatic words and stopped filming each time she asked if she could consult with her brother.Am mentioning this because it's a very tangible sign of improvement within the media, which is a positive thing for a change. At long last.

Yes, hurt is a big part of it. I like to think of it as this - you love/hurt those closest to you because of the security they provide... so if I feel hurt or used, etc, I think that at least my son feels safe enough with me to act that way ...

Wow @Jo - What a great way to finish the night. That is FANTASTIC to hear that people are listening to the real stories of those with lived experience to get an accurate portrayal and to educate others who may not know (or aren't aware of) any one with bipolar.

thankyoujordan.jpg

A HUGE Thank You to Jo for your time tonight and being so open to sharing your own experience.

Also a HUGE thank you to all of you who posted tonight. There's a lot of us, we're not alone.

Please feel free to jump into other areas of the forums and start discussions if anything in particular jumped out at you tonight and you want to discuss something more.

Good night!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance