Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Ask Anything Monday!

Yes! A lot of guilt over a long time here too. For example, I had long periods in my younger days of feeling terribly guilty about my relative good fortune to be born into an affluent country and to have things better than other people in the world. This is despite the fact I've always been on the poor end of this society since birth. But I've been painfully aware for a long time that the poorest of us in this society are still in the top 13% or so of the world's wealth. At one level, these things are valid observations of the social world. The inequality in the world is very troubling and is a real moral question. But being eaten by guilt over it doesn't help anyone and actually damages ourselves.

Compassion is a wonderful thing but it can go too far and swamp us so much that we lose ourselves in the process. We were born into this world, have a right to be here and we don't need to apologise to ourselves or anyone else about taking care of our own wellbeing. I guess, as with many things, it's finding a balance of compassion and self-care that seems to be the key. In our compassion, I think we need to remember too to have compassion for ourselves.

@Mazarita 

Agreed ❣

Thank you @Mazarita, @Faith-and-Hope, I needed that sooo much HeartHeart

you are soo right

Ask Anything Monday banner.png

Happy Monday everyone,

A big thank you to @Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope @Mazarita @BlueBay & @Appleblossom for your contributions to the last Ask Anything Monday topic.

This week's question is:

I have had very bad anxiety and periods of depression my entire life.

Over the past month or so, I've had a string of events that have caused me to become so incredibly overwhelmed that I have trouble eating, sleeping, and performing any daily activities. Last night I tried going to bed at 9, but have yet to fall asleep because I was up all night crying and fighting off panic attacks. This has been happening off and on for the past couple weeks.

I feel stuck and like I can't cope. I don't know how to take care of myself anymore. If I went to a hospital for help, would they even take me in? I don't feel like I have any other options.

I think the best first step in this situation is to see your GP, psychiatrist and/or psychologist, and talk to them about how your situation is in decline and getting out of hand. They will be better able to advise you if hospital is a desirable and possible option for you.

If you already have a GP, psychiatrist and/or psychologist, the next step would be to make appointment time(s) as soon as possible. If you do not currently have a GP, psychiatrist and/or psychologist treating you, I would suggest finding them as soon as possible.

It's hard to say more without more details about your current situation. Hope this is helpful and that your anxiety/depression eases very soon.

Hi @NikNik

My reply is:  I think I would definitely see my GP or psychologist/pyschiatrist. Let them know that you are not feeling good and that your depression is escalating. If you were admitted into a hospital they would take you, but you need to see your GP or psych to admit you.  

When I have been feeling overwhelmed and not sleeping I have told my GP and psych.  They have given me a script for meds to help with sleeping.  But also meditation helps, going for walks, listening to some relaxing music also helps.

There are options but you need to let your support people know.  I understand how you feel because I am feeling the same at the moment.  I am trying to use my coping skills eg. walking, music to help me.

Good luck

Blue Bay 🙂

It's important that you reach out and speak to your health care professionals. If you don't have a counselor or psychiatrist, go and see your gp who can refer you to a psychologist. A psychologist can help teach you techniques to take control of you depression and anxiety.
You don't mention if you have any professional support for your MI. It's so hard to do it on your own. So ask your gp for help and a referral.

@utopia wrote:
It's important that you reach out and speak to your health care professionals. If you don't have a counselor or psychiatrist, go and see your gp who can refer you to a psychologist. A psychologist can help teach you techniques to take control of you depression and anxiety.
You don't mention if you have any professional support for your MI. It's so hard to do it on your own. So ask your gp for help and a referral.

Totally agree. When I first got sick, I didn't go to a doctor until it was really bad. I wish I went earlier. I found a doctor that I liked and it made it a lot easier. 

Hope you getter better soon.

Ask Anything Monday banner.png

Happy Monday everyone!

A big thank you to @Shaz51 @Mazarita @BlueBay @utopia & @mrkotter for responding to last week's question. This week's questions is:

I go to a psychologist and psychiatrist. How much talking therapy should the psychiatrist be doing with me. Is all of that the responsibility of the psychologist or both?

I think it depends on the people involved. From my experience, psychologists are more often associated with intensive talk therapy. On the other hand, I have personally found my experience of counselling from some psychiatrists to be more helpful. That's just a personal preference in my case though. Perhaps it might be worth talking to your psychiatrist and psychologist about this question. They can then give you their personal approach to situations where both a psychiatrist and psychologist are involved in treatment.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance