Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Reilly
Casual Contributor

withdrawals

After being on anti depressants for 17 or 18 years im not sure its been so long, i have stopped taking the horrible little pill. It has ruined my life and doesnt work anymore.Now iam suffering from extreme withdrawals and im in a living hell. I cant stop crying and cant see an end to this hell.I dont want harm myself but i see this as the only solution to stop this pain. I cant believe my doctor never warned me of the dangers of this vile drug.

14 REPLIES 14
Mosaic
Senior Contributor

Re: withdrawals

Hi @Reilly

Welcome to the Forums 🙂 and thank you for posting a little bit about all that you’re going through right now. I am so glad that you have found us here, and I sincerely hope you will find it a supportive and helpful place just to ‘be’ with others who care about you.

@Reilly it sounds like you are feeling pretty vulnerable right now, and I just want to make sure you are able to stay safe from the thoughts of self-harming this evening. Can I ask, do you have a trusted friend or family member who you can call upon for support if needed? Please know we are here for you for peer-support. But if you do feel like you are becoming overwhelmed and are in need of crisis-assistance, you can contact the following organisations anytime, day or night:

Lifeline
Call: 13 11 14
Webchat: https://www.lifeline.org.au/Get-Help/Online-Services/crisis-chat

Suicide Call Back Service
Call: 1300 659 467

If at immediate risk, call Emergency on 000.

@Reilly it sounds like you have been having a tough time with this change to your regular medication. You are not alone in that experience. Many members on here have walked through something similar over the years… I can only imagine how hard this process must be for you, after sticking with it for 17-18 years. Can I ask, are you working collaboratively with your doctor throughout this process? Only because it can be a real battle (and it is quite dangerous) to manage it without that added support, guidance and medical expertise from your treating medical professional. If you are interested, you might like have a read through this thread which discusses the various challenges of switching or adjusting meds. Hopefully it can help with a few ideas and strategies about how to walk through this next phase of your recovery journey.

Please remember @Reilly that as a community, we are here for you 🙂 Can I ask, (apart from self-harming) what is one way you like to relax or take the pressure off when feeling overwhelmed? For example, if I am feeling overwhelmed, I like spending time with my cat, or having a peppermint tea in bed - for me, that is really grounding. What strategies work best for you?

All the very best and stay safe,

Mosaic.

Oh my goodness Reilly!

Coming off your medications is a very difficult thing for your mind and must be done with support from your doctor. Especially if you have been taking the same thing for such a long time. I have read and been told in many cases that people experience the worst of their symptoms when coming off thier medications too quickly ( cold turkey). As far as im aware your ment to do it a little less each day ( ask your doctor!) . If think your doctor isnt supporting you the best you can always get a second opinion .

Baboo

Thanks for the support, i live by myself with my dog my family and friends have no idea i wouldnt know how to talk to them about it.Ive tried going cold turkey before but have gone back to the meds this time im not. My original doctor who prescribed the drugs to me is long gone and I have no regular doc just one thats there to fill my script. Ive found they dont care, your in and out in a minute i feel they only want my $ and no interest in my life. Im not going back to see a GP again.They dont even believe me about the horrible withdrawals.

Oh i ment "dont" go cold turkey- its really bad for you.

Please go see another doctor- i know doctor shopping is a pain in the behind - but once you find a good one the most wonderful things can happen for you.

Baboo

Hi @Reilly,

Again thank you for sharing your experience with us Smiley Happy

It sounds like you are having a terrible experience with symptoms of withdrawal at the moment and I just wanted to check-in and see how your travelling?

Hope your feeling a little better today then you have been. Looking forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

Rockpool

Hi @Reilly Sorry to hear you are isolated  I am too.

I did not like that you are in a tough place but I liked your honesty. It is hard going off meds and I have struggled with dealing with all the weeping returning any time I stopped.

It is not the answer but hard work of compassion is the only thing.  Compassion that digs deep from experience not just pretty words.

I want to thank you all for listening. Last night was hell. I went to the shops today and started getting what i can only describe as muscle spasm's in my left eye then started sobbing for no reason. Will i ever be normal again.

Sorry to hear about that @Reilly.That is what I am trying to circumvent.

Keep reaching out.

What are you going to do about your symptoms?

Are you going to just wait and see if you feel better after a while or are you going to try and find a second opinion for support?

😞

Baboo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance