Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: withdrawals

It is hard when we lose control over our bodies.Normal is an odd word it never behaves itself and as soon as we think it is one thing it changes.

Feelings of weepiness were very common for me when I come of meds, but this time around I am doing better with a very staggered reduction.  Still taking very low dose. Sometimes weeping can be cleansing.  I hate it when I am seen, but sometimes it is important that it is not kept as a shameful secret.  I respect cultures that have keening and various emotive displays as normal .. westerners can be so uptight.

Hope you are a bit better today.

I'm going to ride this nightmare out, I won't let it beat me. Ive got 3 pills left in the box, i won't ever take them again but can't chuck them out yet. Luckily I'm semi retired from work at only 38 but am going in tomorrow for a 12 hr shift. It will be the first time working since going cold turkey. I'm scared as hell as to what might happen.

Hi @Reilly,

You seem really determined to get through this withdrawal period. It sounds like going cold turkey is really tough though!!

Like @Baboo, I think it's really important that you get support for this transition - it's a huge thing to go through alone! Even though of course you have us on the Forums for peer support, getting a health professional's advice is the road I'd strongly recommed taking.

Here's a couple of resources you may or may not be aware of:

• Beyondblue has a search tool to find a GP with mental health knowledge here
  • Medicines Line can provide information on medications. You can free call 1300 633 424 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or have a look at their information on antidepressants here
  • The Australian Drug Information Network provides a central point of access to internet-based alcohol and drug information here

I think beyondblue's GP search tool and calling Medicines Line may be particularly useful for you.

Make sure you're looking after yourself @Reilly, this is a really challenging time!

Shimmer

What you are doing takes courage and self awareness and work.

That is the same way I finally kicked smoking cigarettes.  I "gave up" over many years. Kept some with me to test me, and it didnt work quite a few times but eventually it did. Its been about 23 years now. Never looked back.

I posted a reply earlier, but moderators didnt like it as I spoke of side effects of my ex-uncle who was on serious MI meds for 35 years.

I am making changes in my meds too .. just ran out of blood pressure tablets.  Trying to assess what symptoms belong to what. I have a bublle pack and half of my anti-depressants.

I also have a habit of self diagnosing and say I ought to be on mood stabilisers and anti psychotics, but my last GP, god bless him, who saved my life, did not think that the new wave of pschiatrists in my area would suit me .. now he is sick, so I have to figure it out for myself. I am reaching out for "help" too. But help has to be real help and not just an illusion in the mind of the helper to make them feel better.

Thankyou for the spport, It's much appreciated. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance