Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

voices

Hi all, 

I came across this forum while scouring the Internet (as you do) in the hope of finding answers to this question. 

So I've heard that it's normal to hear voices inside your head but not outside... that is, it's only if you hear voices outside your head then you should be concerned. Voices inside your head that belong to 'people' that you can actually see if you step back from the outside world and you're body, are fine/good/normal. 

The thing that confuses me a little is that when I mentioned 'people inside your head' to a doctor in Emergency (he was anathestist) he assumed that I meant thoughts. These are not thoughts though, I mean, I know what my thoughts are(!) I think them, I don't hear them and I definately don't see people telling them to me. Is that weird. 

Sorry, perhaps this makes no sense at all.  A whole of things have gotten seriously out of control lately and I'm trying to work out what's safe to say to people about it and what's not. 😕

21 REPLIES 21

Re: voices

I dont really have an experience of voices ... but an excess of thoughts. Some members on the forum have posted about voices.  I was wary about getting too isolated and introverted as I thought it would cause me to develop schizophrenia ... (both parents diagnosed) so I always tried to be proactive on the matter by keeping self expressive and socially active .. I dont know if that worked or I just was not going to develop those symptoms anyway.

Welcome to the forums. I hope others can give you moe information.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi there @Former-Member,

Welcome to the forums. 

You are not alone, many people on these forums hear voices and ask similar questions.  

There are a few interesting discussions regarding voices: HereHere or Here that you might find interesting reading. 

Maybe some of the members on here such as @kenny66@Gothgirl or @JT might be able to offer you some insights. 

I hope that these forums can be a comfortable place for you to learn and will hopefully help you to get your life back in control.

-Jerry

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member
I don't have anything really helpful to art sorry! But wanted to say welcome to the forums, hopefully you find support and friendship here as well as understanding and the ability to share experiences with others so that you know yoU aren't alone. In February I was hospitalised for a month with severe depression and I was hearing things then... But outside my head.
Lj
Former-Member
Not applicable

I know for me, when it first started I didn't know they were 'voices'. I thought that people around me were talking about me. I was constantly looking over my shoulder. Later one became more dominant and I kind of imagine it as a demon or some such. Yay for me, medication has completely taken it away.

I think they key for me is that I just thought it was another person talking. I didn't know they were 'in my head'. It was only later that the demon become prominent and I knew others couldn't hear him. I felt like he was controlling what I could hear and my brain. (I'm not sure this makes sense, I'm sorry.) I felt like it was an intrusion. I was constantly being told what I could and couldn't do.

Regarding what's 'safe to say'. Depends who you are talking to.

I recommend going to a GP as soon as you can, preferably one you can trust.

I personally went to one I had seen once before, but didn't really know, so I could walk away if he judged me negatively. He didn't and things have, after a long time, ended up well.

I'm not feeling the best right now, but I've got a good doctor who is supportive and helping me feel better. And I've had very long periods of feeling really well.

I don't know what you're experiencing exactly, but if you're curious or distressed, definitely go talk to someone. There is help available and it's always good to know what's going on.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcomes @Appleblossom and @Former-Member 🙂

@Former-Member some of the posts in those threads are exactly what I was getting at - thank you!

It's so good to know other people ask this. For a long time I assumed everyone had this kind of peanut gallery accompanying them through life, then a few years ago found out that wasn't the case. I'm only now wondering whether I should mention them to doctors because a couple of them have been involved in other difficulties I'm having at the moment... plus everyone suddenly seems to be asking me whether I hear voices and I've generally said no because I've thought they meant something more like what @Former-Member described... and I think mine are different. 

@Former-Member your thoughts on what it's safe to say are really helpful too. I'm seeing a GP on Friday. I've never met him before but was referred to him for a mental health assessment because he's supposed to be good at such things. Maybe if he asks, I can interrogate him about what he means. It should be okay to do that, right? If he's asking about something, he should know what exactly it is that he's asking. Maybe...

Anyway, cheers all 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi Briar,

Yes, totally, interrogate away! But also fully explain your symptoms and what you experience. A two way understanding I think is more helpful.

I was diagnosed with depression and bpd at first and I never related to other's expereinces until I read a book about a young woman who experienced schizophrenia and I finally found someone who had experienced similar things to me. It was a very healing experience to know I wasn't alone. This then lead me to research symptoms a bit more, and while I've never talked to a doctor about it, it's good to know that my experiences have 'names'.

I just wish I knew what caused them and why they happened. But I think I might need a phd to discover that one.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm thinking about cancelling the GP appointment tomorrow. The reason I agreed to it (and the reason I saw the counsellor in the first place) is that I was worried things were really falling apart. I hadn't self-harmed in a long while but that restarted and escalated much faster than usual, and my concentration has been so shot so that I've been really unproductive for a couple of months now and worried about the repercussions of that. I've also had quite a lot of lost time... 

But now I think I have it under control again. I know it's only been a few days but I've made some rules and if I follow them I think everything will settle back down. Plus I've moved out of the place I was living before, and I'm pretty sure that's what kickstarted this current meltdown. 

So it seems that going to the appointment wouldn't really be worthwhile. 

Don't know why I'm posting this here really. I thought if I put it up in lights, the logic of it might be clearer. Y'all can just agree with me 😉

NikNik
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member

I don't think we've "met"  - so a big heeelloooo 🙂

It's great that things are moving upwards! It sounds like you have done a lot of work to put things in place to improve your wellbeing.

I think it's still worth seeing a GP - you don't have to be really unwell to see a GP, we all need maintenance and people to support us in our recovery. I think you can be honest with your GP and share what you have with us - for them know how you're travelling, what works for you etc.

My take on it is that it won't hurt to see them!

Former-Member
Not applicable

I agree with @NikNik.
I think it's better to go when you're feeling better rather than worse. It takes the pressure off a bit.

I hate to say it, but things might not always go perfectly in the future and it's much better to be knowledgeable and have support in place if things go south again.

I say go, worst case you at least get an understanding of what your 'voices' are.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance