Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

tige
Contributor

self harm

hi, seeking some guidance...

i have been a self harmer for about 17yrs on and off. Its been a couple of years since last time. im having urge to do it again, memories of past trauma have been haunting me, i have so much energy in me that i meed to release, but at the same time i dont want to feel anything. the feeling of self harm is tempting because then i can feel the pain. its contradicting, but not sure what to do next, because i want the space to acknowledge some of my past but i dont want to get stuck, so much energy. thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: self harm

Hi @tige

Welcome to the forums, I'm glad you are here, I can understand exactly what your mean about feeling the pain, its how i get too. Resisting is really difficult but you have worked really hard to keep from doing it for so long. If you have a lot of energy would it help to go for a walk/run or do something else physical (mow the lawns/mop the floors) when the urge is strongest? Or other distractions like using ice cubes on your skin or flicking a rubber band. 

I can also understand about not wanting to become stuck. past truama's somehow have a way of overhwlming me and taking over. I've been working on building strategies to learn better ways to cope with the ptsd or cptsd that i have but lately im not sure i've come so far at all, but other days, i know that I've got a lot more strategies for coping than i have had before.

LJ

Hi @tige

Such  awareness!

You are demonstrating insight, showing awareness of the shifting emotions and implementing a delay before acting. Just stop and reveal in that for a moment...

Previously how have you managed when things have become rocky? Do you know what works for you during stormy times?

I guess if you haven't already this would be a perfect time to engage with supports.

1. You are being triggered by past trauma, good time to look at what's causing this and a space to explore emotions

2. You are looking for ways to change old behaviours, a good time to ask for help as you practice new behaviours rather than reverting to past behaviours

3. You are experiencing a range of intense emotions that are difficult to sit with, a good time to explore other strategies to manage emotions as @Former-Member mentioned that may work

Best wishes

Thankyou

Hello @tige

I associate SH urges with surges of energy too.  After a while I heard the words overwhelmed and it helped to be able to say that I was overwhelmed.  It has helped to find words for my experiences.

Have you had any success directing your energy into other actions?

Take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance