Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

RasberryCupcake
Senior Contributor

schizophrenia - is anyone here a suffer?

Hi,

I've been reading a 1986 human rights commission's symposium on schizophrenia & human rights law. It was an interesting, but heartfelt read. It got me thinking about the Mental Health Act 2014 and question why sufferers of a psychiatric disorder such as schizophrenia & the like have virtually no basic human rights when it comes to medical treatment? Nothing is afforded to these people (from the case studies I've read) .. their right to privacy, right to be treated with dignity, right to refuse treatment etc ..the laws are simply created to give psychiatrists & medical professionals free reign to assess, report, invade privacy laws and record any fictitious illnesses they see fit! What about their consent?

I don't know anyone close with the condition, nor have I really dealt with anyone presented with it - all I really know is my insight & education on the illness.  

Q: What if a person who does NOT present with it has been set - up to be one? With the Mental Health Act in place, how would the individual be protected?    

8 REPLIES 8

Re: schizophrenia - is anyone here a suffer?

Hello @RasberryCupcake 

You raise important points.  I have not studied the 2014 Act bu its on my list of things to do.

I come from an era when they did toss around the Schizophrenia diagnosis a lot ... in 1960s ... and I have known a lot of people with the diagnosis over the years.  For me the trauma aspect should be given more weight. All the people had various and unique trauma histories, which is swept away under the one long ominous word.. For me there is always a reason ...

Someone recently posted a youtube about CBT for psychosis ... which seemed helpful.

Take Care

Smiley Happy

hi @RasberryCupcake I don't feel too comfortable sharing my mental illness details with you as you haven't disclosed any details about your mental illness. Unfortunately, for me that would set up an unequal power dynamic. With respect, before responding to your thread, I question what your motivation is and why you aren't focused on your own mental illness.

Hi @BryanaCamp,

I'm not sure if I'm picking up on some tension here but it sounds like this post around the Mental Health Act might be a touch triggering for you. If you do feel you need support around this please feel free to email us at team@saneforums.com 

We do have some self care and conflict resources here: saneforums.org/t5/About-the-forum-including/Forum-Guides/m-p/105963#M1039

Heart Ochre

Hi @Appleblossom ,

I'm not a clinician nor doctor with any experiences on psychosis - CBT for psychosis?  I haven't looked into that, but if it's evidence-based practice within the mental health industry who am I to comment. I agree that the hospitals and medical personnel in the 1960s were absolutely horrifying!! It's like a nightmare on "elm street" so to speak. The practices were barbaric and severe in my opinion - but in saying that, I believe Australia, is still one of the few countries today, practicing lobotomy surgeries. Trauma-informed care is medical best practice in my opinion. Care provided in this manner not only incorporates the legislative requirement of 'patient-centered care', it also harnesses compassion, understanding, warmth and IMPORTANTLY, it builds trust! This element is a key factor in patient-doctor relationship & engagement. I guess you would only have to ask yourself when you're in distress, would you like to be treated as though you were human excrement, or would you like to be understood and cared for in a gentle, non-threatening manner? With that being said, I think changes to the Mental Heath Act 2014 is essential.

@BryanaCamp  thanks for your message. My motivation in writing this was simply to gain a better understanding of the illness itself. I like learning new things. As I said I'm not too au fait with it - only from the studies/ readings I have undertaken. No real-life experiences.

I'm suffering from deep depression and anxiety, the level it's on at the moment is the worst I've felt. I've been a sufferer now for 2.5 (going on 3) years, end of the year. Before this, I would get the occasional blues - some were better than others. But recently, my experiences & traumas I've had has impacted severely on me. 

Hi @RasberryCupcake ,

Everything you have written about sounds like what I need to read right now.

i have been  diagnosed with  schizophrenia  psychosis , I have been put on medication and that’s it , nothing!

All I have is a nurse that likes to give me my injections every month.

I have had lots of trauma in my life , but nobody wants to listen ( Nurse ,  psychiatrist , Psychologist ),

if I want help , I have to get it myself.

i don’t right much on these columns as I don’t know how to  Express myself very well.

Sorry, have I said something wrong? crossed the no-go zone barrier? Yea, I just think too much weight is given to providers. I'm big on human rights issues, always been - I guess with the symposium I read, kinda made me feel sad. That's all.  

@blueberrymuffin , how are you feelng? I think you're doing fine. There's nothing with your expressions, at all - I understand and feel where you're coming from. Keep writing, it'll make you a much better writer. 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance