Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

jamesle2015
Senior Contributor

people who don't care about how they impact others in public

You all know what I'm talking about -

the morons who can't keep it to themselves -

they say whatever pops up in their tiny minds and inflict themselves on everyone else

e.g. when it's busy and everyone knows its busy and someone starts making stupid

comments  about how busy it is as if its some kind of interesting joke - which is very inconsiderate to the workers and everyone around them - the other thing is there is

nothing unusual about the situation if you have experienced it before why make any comment?? it is not helping anyone and not changing anything

i'm sure you can think of more examples

9 REPLIES 9

Re: people who don't care about how they impact others in public

@jamesle2015  I think sometimes it is just how people express their frustration. the busy emaple for instance some people find it best to not say anything and just try and work with it. while others feel the need to have a rant and display their feelings. of course if you are on the recieving end of those feelings it can be very unpleasant. I do think in public though you need to be considerate of how things will affect others where possible. 

I always feel bad for retail workers during the holidays and in general because i can only imagine the kind of abuse they get from unhappy coustmers who don't seem to care to ask nicely for something.  

Hi @jamesle2015. Sometimes I too find it frustrating to hear comments that seem very thoughtless and that can have an impact on others. The other day in a group I listened to someone making a joke about psych inpatient facilities and people in them. Everyone else was laughing but it didn't feel at all good to me.

I so badly wanted to say something about how it felt but it was a big group and I didn't want to say anything in front of so many people. Sometimes I really want to say something when I hear and see things that bother me, but I worry about how my response will be taken so I find it hard to.

How do you feel about letting people know that their comments don't feel good for you?

I wish I could say something but I don't think these people would care ...

the one I mentioned about the 'busy' example is some annoying admin person who

likes to make too much noise - if it was only that one time then it's not so bad but

this person seems likes to 'rattle' and waste time - you know the type of person I am talking about - not much going on upstairs but likes to hear the sound of their own voice.....there are customers that are like that as well

the other problem is that it is a workplace so the manager is always there to 'monitor' -

you know what I mean they don't want to confront the customer as they are more

concerned with making the profit - so if I confronted the customer I would get a lecture

Maybe I should be grateful...most of the customers are ok most of the time

the other problem of course if I have to work under more than one manager

that is a big problem

weird things happen - e.g. they talk to you when your not in the main office - could be washing your hands or doing something and they expect you to respond ..then you have to try to work out what they are saying when you are not ready ....they should

wait until you are ready ...that is my experience I know not all 'managers' are like that

then they have weird personalities or habits you have to put up with - you can't tell

them to change or they will get offended - that part probably applies to a lot of workers

it gets really tiring I can tell you

Hi @jamesle2015, that is so true. People aren't very considerate for others or they also say things in the vicinity to ensure other people hear them. A lot of people especially air their frustrations at times where there are crowds by complaining of busyness. Do you feel that people don't understand the feelings or emotions of people who work in the business?

I reckon some of them do it on purpose because they enjoy it - irritating others  - I feel sorry for them if they need

to behave like that

You're right @jamesle2015, some of them probably do. The good customers make the day easier though, don't they? We've got a friend who worked in retail and customer service for years, they said for a long time they hated their job but it was easy and paid the bills, so they put up with the comments and conflicts but weren't happy going to work each day. One day they were weighing up whether to quit a customer service job, one that attracted a lot of complaints, and they started asking themselves what was their purpose there, what was the real reason their role existed, and they decided their job was to make people smile. They didn't know if the customer had a bad day themselves, was confused or lonely, was a mean person... they just knew that by the end of the time they spoke to the customer, the customer should be smiling. As soon as they decided that, they started enjoying the job again and interacting with people became easier. That might not work for everyone, but it can be interesting to look at other perspectives sometimes and I thought their story is a nice one Smiley Happy

How was the rest of your week @jamesle2015

Every day is about the 'same'.

A 'good' day is when there are no irritating customers and no major problems.

I can't do anything about manager - if manager has bad attitude that is his problem

we cannot change anything. The problem is once the shift is over I keep replaying

things over and over ....I don't want to but I can't stop it

The negative comments keep replaying over and over

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance