Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

SCORPION
Senior Contributor

loosing hope

It's 10 past 1am I'm in pain a lot the last few days. Constant headache to scared to sleep as being having nightmares for the last few days. Plus just found out my sister has her cancer back. Happyness seems likeone of those fairytales pparents tell kids. Have been having some trouble with my thoughts going all over the place sometime really bad one's. 

I feel like its just all to much and just about any thoughts of eveer being remotely happy seem not like something I will ever see again. I know that others have it harder but I feel that just want to lock myself away from the world and be left alone. 

I know I will have to face sleep again but I don't know if I can really face that place but can't avoid it either just really scared right now. Anyway i will try to wwatch some tv .

Scorpion

5 REPLIES 5

Re: loosing hope

Hi @SCORPION 

I'm really sad to hear how things are for you at the moment. Happiness is a concept we all grapple with. I think we should define happiness for ourselves and then we have the ability to work towards that.

I think many of us are hard on ourselves when we don't have a sense of 'happiness' for a long period of time.

For me I avoid the word 'happiness'. I rate my mental health from 1-10... once we define our mental health baseline, you work towards improving your baseline. Lets say you rate yourself a 5 on average, the goal then becomes moving towards a 6. Maybe that's over simplistic, but I think it makes 'happiness' a lot more attainable and realistic.

ANYWAYS - how are you today?

Nik

Hi thanks for your kind words.
Feeling better finally got some sleep for what it's worth. I will keep looking for what seems to eluded me these day's
Scorpion

Hey @SCORPION 

I'm very sorry to hear you are struggling with this much pain, and nightmares too - hideous.

I'd like to encourage you to find a book called The Happiness Trap by Dr Russ Harris, the library will probably have it. It invites us to shift our expectations. The idea of perpetual happiness is a fairytale, but it's one that our media and society promote constantly. Unbfortuanetly the more we lament its loss the less attainable it is.

Take care of you my friend. I hope your wife is doing ok. So sorry to hear about your sister, that must be terribly distressful.

In the midst of life's distress hope does endure...

Kindest regards, 

Kristin

@SCORPION
thinking of you and understanding how upsetting it is when a close friend or family member becomes unwell.
Nightmares are just crap..what have you used as grounding strategies in the past, as maybe they're worth trying again.
I am not sleeping due to on cortisone for asthma..so I am dog tired and headachey but breathing noticeably better today.. Just another 4 nights no sleep to go..well I end up asleep around 3 but very tiring..
I reckon if we just lie in our beds and read books that we enjoy (Paddington bear and anything by Roald Dahl or Terry Pratchett's) works for me..get some quiet chortles going (try not to keep my partner awake)

Take care..fingers crossed you have a comic collection, books or favourite radio station to listen too in the wee hours..

Another thing to concider perhaps is what you might be putting into your body while you have stress to work on.

Ive had to leave reminders for myself to drink at least 1 litre of water a day so i dont get bad headaches- especially while i have a lot on my mind.

Stressful times some times can not be avoided but you can make sure your putting the right fuel into your body to help you keep on track.

I hope this little idea helps 🙂

Visual cards or looking at pictures of nice things to dream about before sleeping is a good tool- similar to lucid dreaming practices or meditation. A picture out of a National geographic magazine or a pretty post card to stare at and imagine your going for a nice peaceful walk with these surroundings around you- right before you turn the light out to sleep.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance