Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: bipolar mania onset

Hi eth,

I'm sensing from your post a level of anxiety of not being able to prevent your mania. I would imagine this anxiety would only be elevating your mania. You seem incredibly self aware and understand your moods - something which alot of people struggle with. Your proactive approach to finding strategies is awesome.

Lets accumulate a list of things that have worked before. So far from your posts I've seen;

- support network

- meds

- CBT

- Mindfulness techniques

- healthy diet

- sleep routine

- breathing exercises

- sleep hygiene

Is there anything else that has worked in the past too?

Are you actively still practicing any of the above still?

I have 4 tips which I have heard to help people before

1) Disturb your thoughts. When you hear and feel yourself becoming anxious about controling the mania, notice it and move your thoughts into 'what can I do' then pick maybe one of the above techniques/strategies. This reduces your anxiety about the possibility of your maina becoming out of control... which in turn can take away some of the energy that goes into your mania.

2) Even if you feel like something isn't working, it isn't harming, so keep doing it. If you feel that, for example, your breathing exercises aren't working, keep doing it. It may be making a little bit of difference. And if it isn't.. it's not hurting you

3) Hone in on your outlets. You mentioned you do some quiet things around the house, so it sounds like you possibly have this sorted! Basically this refers to finding an activity to occupy yourself during these times. As @kato  mentioned, exercise is one choice, maybe something artistic if you're that way inclined.

4) notice your triggers that escalate things for you. Have a plan of what to do when you engage with these triggers - how to disengage with them

eg: A friend of mine builds websites. There has been times when he hasn't slept or eaten due to his mania - and he just obsesses with his website work. He now can recognise that this can escalate his mania when he's vulnerable, so he will purposely turn off his computer to stop feeding the trigger

Have you identified any triggers for yourself?

Hello Eth.

You seem to be doing 'all the right things.'

You are getting good advice.

Is it at all possible that what is happening to you recently could be a result of:

http://www.commdiginews.com/health-science/health/the-impact-of-solar-flares-on-the-human-mood-and-p...

Might explain something for many of us?

@NikNik I am currently practicing all of the above. Thanks for your advice. Identified 3 recent triggers today but they are all things I have to deal with, can't be avoided e.g. house inspection. Another thing I sometimes do is zentangles but I've been too restless to sit down to do it so far this time. I just hope I am able to get a better sleep tonight and start feeling like I am managing this. I have managed to get an earlier appointment with the psychiatrist but still have to get through the next two days before that.

@eth hey friend,
Just thought I would touch base and see how you are going?
I apologize I got caught up in myself these last week or so.

How are you?

Hey Kato thanks for getting back to me. It means a lot. I too have been preoccupied with myself. Have had my meds adjusted and a new one added and today is the first day I feel like I'm starting to cope better, tho still hypomanic. Accepting what is happening is definitely better than paroxysms of angst over it. The new med seems to be helping me at least get some sleep and that's a key factor. Thanks again. Hope things are ok for you.

That is fantastic eth,
I am glad to hear that you are getting some much needed sleep.

Can I ask what meds you are on?
I know for some it is a very private question so I understand if you don't want to divulge

In the past I have been on many combos. The current combo is very big on sedation to help with balancing my mania just curious if you get similar effects is all

@eth , just to echo @kato , it's great to hear that you are getting some sleep! May I ask, what got you to a point of accepting what is happening? I'm really happy to hear you have progressed.

I just want to flag that the mention of specific medications and dosages is against Forum Guidelines. It is fine to mention a group or family of medications, but not the specific type. If you want to read more about this, you can check out the forum guidelines here

The forum guidelines are hard to find, so I just wanted to let you guys know about the guidelines around mentioning medication before the discussion went further. 🙂

Nik

Ahh cool cool sorry @NikNik was not aware
Apologies

@kato  @NikNik   Thanks for your interest.  I have been on 2 antipsychotics all year (1 of them since 2009 and the 2nd one is also a mood stabiliser added early this year which did help a lot with anxiety and night panics but didn't prevent hypomanic episodes completely).  Last week a 3rd antipsychotic was added to the mix and it has better sedative effects - only a low dose and taken only at night on difficult nights and it seems to be really helpful.  Hoping I have expressed this in a way that doesn't breech guidelines.

A typical anti psychotic.
I am currently on 1 of those with sedative effect it is really good for sleep when needed. And I too am on a mood stabilizer altho it is mainly used to help a completely different disorder

I was hoping that would be your response. I took some time away from me lol and realised that what I was on was brilliant for sleep lol

Tricky discussing meds in this round about way.

I am glad you've gotten the help friend

With the mania I have been getting I dare say they will add more for me as well

Just really wanted to touch base with you and see how you were
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance