Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

carlos
Casual Contributor

being confused

I'm feeling confused which is leading to depression and anxiety. I've been going oto gym for about 4 & half years now, to lose weight and improve my life. I started about 160kg plus got down to 117kg late last year then ended up in hospital for 2 night with a bad form of tonsillitis. Then this year my appendix burst with these things happening I'm now back upto about 130kg. I'm not eating as well as I should due to what has happened I'm starting to feel like I'm going back to old habits and feeling like a failure.

I'm also finding it hard to make new friends and find a partner due to when I'm with friends these days, alot of the times I feel like I'm invisible. Combine these with being in hospital a couple of times, it feels like I'm losing self worth and respect
9 REPLIES 9

Re: being confused

Hi @carlos

Wow you have been through so much. You worked so hard and then to have those set backs (painful ones at that, by the sounds of it!), it would be really disheartening.

Your ability to maintain your physical exercise and going to the gym for 4.5 years is incredible - that's hardly a failure!! Some terrible physical things happened to you, which was out of your control. It does take time to "get back on the horse" and that's completely normal.

Besides the weight loss, did you notice any difference to your mental health when you were going to the gym?

It's a bit of a "chicken or egg" situation. When our mental health is suffering, we struggle with motivation to do things like exercise, but without the exercise, we don't get the mental health boost!

I'm still going to the gym and at times mental and emotional health are great other times it's low. I also broke my right leg 3 years ago but still trained.

That's great you're still going to the gym. A broken leg too? Wow - you have overcome a lot!

You said you aren't eating as well as you should - is this what you are referring to when you say you feel like you're going back to old habits? or are there other habits you're concerned about?

Please be gentle on yourself - the fact you have recognised that things aren't okay, you're reaching out for advice AND you're still doing positive things for your health, is a really big deal and you should give yourself credit for that.

Not eating right is 1 old habit that I'm talking about, also self worth and put myself first is going backwards.

Welcome to the forums @carlos

Self worth is a big issue for a lot of us.  It can take energy to keep challenging negative thoughts.

I'm doing better with self worth and negative thoughts are down, I'm also eating better. Which will help with weigjt loss.

Glad you are riding the wave past negativity.

On Friday nights we have a virtual feast ... sometimes we talk food .. good ideas for health ... tho sometimes decadence ... it is great to have new people on the forum.        Cat LOL

It's starting to feel like that everything I have achieved with weight loss and starting a new job in march in construction learning new things with work. Feels like it's not worth as I'm losing conference to meet new poeple be social with the friends that I've got and still being single.

Hey @carlos

How are you doing with the job?

Please don't be too tough on yourself - there are circumstances of our your control that have caused the weight. Weight is just one component of health though. It's really important to remember that. Your heart, organs, muscles, mental health and much more are benefiting from your exercise.

Weight alone is a dangerous measure of success.

@Appleblossom was right - self worth is a huge one.

Are you talking to someone about these lows you're experiencing? A counsellor or psychologist can help with these feelings of self worth.

I noticed we had another member tonight post about the frustrations of putting on weight. You can find the discussion here if you want to drop by and say hi. Sometimes it's just helpful to know you're not the only one experiencing these things.

Take care 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance