Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: You may not remember me...

Anyone on here with chronic a mental health condition knows what a tough gig that is and wouldn't judge you, or think badly of you Queenie if you go offline. I think it is really healthy and sometimes exactly what you need and your symptoms are horrendous. I have had to block a lot of websites on my router because they are too triggering. But when you have a history of interpersonal trauma I understand how human relations can trigger your social anxiety and fear of offending people. You've lived it from the inside, so you know that when you're unwell even the smallest gesture of rejection feels soul destroying, so you are not wanting to inflict that on someone, but here on the forums everyone knows that that hyper sensitivity comes when we aren't well or symptomatic and is part and parcel of MI unfortunately. It flares and then goes down and then flares. I can't help but notice that people with mother/child wounds seem to flare very easily.

I find it such a relief to read that I am not the only person that EMDR did that to and quite interesting. I felt like such a basket case, and like I was a lost cause. I was exactly the same and I exasperated the psychologist, she threw her arms up in the end and said that I am just way too complex. From what I have read it can be effective for adult, once off traumas, but if the trauma began when you were a baby or young child with neglect and sensory deprivation or abandonment it doesn't seem to work. Health professionals mean well but I get what you mean. My psychiatrist has earned my total respect and I know he isn't being judgey but when other people say, "people with your type of background", "patients from families like yours", "you are my most complex client", I don't think they realise how many people could potentially give up when told things like that. It makes you think to yourself, well I am just stuffed, there is zero hope for an reprieve from this.

That is so awful that EMDR and therapy triggered a psychotic episode and you are definitely wise to keep some things in that box, your nervous system functions differently and the reality is that science has a whole lot of theories and hypotheses but no real understanding yet. I hope that your partner contacted them and gave them feedback that they need to be more careful and maybe screen patients better.

Another thing Queenie, if you are feeling stable for quite some time and get into a false sense of security that you could do some trauma therapy, what ever you do, same with EMDR never ever let a practitioner do hypnotherapy on you! My doc said to me, "promise me, promise me, promise me that you will never let someone try and "fix" your memories and trauma with hypnosis, because "people like me and my genetics"(I don't mind him saying that, cos he is very caring) are very vulnerable. My doc worked in the prison system for quite some years so has dealt with horrifically traumatised people and he said one of the worst cases of psychosis he has ever seen was in a young fella with a gene pool like mine and a childhood like mine, where some hippy la la crack pot therapist was convinced hypnosis would cure him of his entire childhood and trauma. We're not built for alternative therapies and just maintaining our baseline takes a momentous amount of energy and stamina. There's still so much to discover about the brain and nervous system but until they do all we can do is tread water unfortunately. 

Your traumas have crossed your life span @Queenie, you have been through so much. They all add up to make for a very shaky nervous system that doesn't have much stress resilience. 

I haven't done much research/reading about coping with auditory hallucinations (AH) for a while, I haven't really been well enough to do any reading, but the poms and the UK seem to approach it differently and more holistically compared to American psychiatry. I remember that being my initial impressions. With Google the algorithms go straight to US sites, but maybe if you search Google.co.uk there could be some info with a different approach and ideas......I read some work by an American Psychiatrist Dr Bruce Perry I think his name was, because I was having strong physiological responses to the dissociation when my hallucinations began and there are some trauma researches in the US that have looked at the dissociative component of AH. Hallucinations aren't particular to schizophrenia like SH isn't particular to Borderline Personality Disorder, but you would be surprised the reactions you get about AH's, people flip out and immediately think that everyone that experiences them can only ever be diagnosed with schizophrenia.

I think in Australia the mental health system is broken & contributing to misdiagnosis & suicide, in that most people who are acutely unwell are diagnosed in the emergency room, and in my humble opinion I don't think this always leads to the best outcome or even an accurate assessment of the patient. ER is completely overwhelmed and it can't be thorough enough for complex histories to be assessed. i really don't think the governments 'one stop shops' they intend to roll out for adult Headspace-like clinics will do any good and will be a complete waste of money. 

As I said earlier, planned admissions suck, I am still coming to terms with it & yet to have my 1st, but in many ways what else do the docs have to try in their medicine bag when the damage was done so many years ago at early stages of our development? Asking psychiatry to reverse our childhood home life is a big ask.... your childhood home environment has had a huge impact on you, the meds aren't working for long and maybe the occasional environmental intervention by going to hospital will give you a little reprieve and break up the monotony a tiny bit. 

I think that's one of the hardest things for me to come to terms with. MI is so damn monotonous, same thing every single day, it wears you down. 

You're doing the right thing @Queenie , its better to act early instead of leaving it and having a longer admission, I really hope it goes OK for you and the other patients aren't too triggering. It can be a mixed bag and there are toxic people out there to stay away from! Smiley Wink

Corny Smiley Happy

Hi @Corny @Queenie 

I have been reading your long and interesting post Corny about your experiences and understandings of hypnotherapy and other MH things. Like many other therapies hypnotherapy can be effective for many people and is certainly seen as a legitimate form of therapy when practiced by a qualified and experienced practitioner who has a good connection with and understanding of the client and their personal circumstances and needs.  And like all therapies it does not work for some people and in some mental health situations, and has the risk of harm in certain situations, especially if the practitioner is inexperienced or poorly skilled.  

I certainly agree that the mental health system in Australia is flawed but I think broken is too strong a description. There are many, many people, including SANE members, who can report that they have been helped greatly with care, treatment and support by mental health professionals in the current less than perfect system. I am glad that your doctor appears to be one of these admirable professionals.

cheers

Whitehawk

I understand that this is your own opinion @Whitehawk based on your life experiences, and you don't want members to not seek treatment, and in your opinion the MH system is imperfect but reaching some. I want members to get help too and I don't want them sitting at home, suffering, and not reaching out. 

Mind you the only people represented on here are over the magic number of 18 years old. Too bad, so sad if you are a child trying to access the MH system on behalf of your mentally ill parents who are abusive. Little people are invisible, but they do exist @Whitehawk .

But the way your post reads comes across that you are not a-political. Call me a cynic but that's how it comes across.

But I find it really interesting that you choose to encourage treatments on the assumption that they may work, and don't caution people like @Queenie or myself with our 'backgrounds', and see the other side, where they can do harm. Almost like, oh well, they were basket cases to begin with, lets just focus on whats good for most people.

I think you're forgetting the people on the periphery moderator and that public debate is healthy, they were my experiences and yes, I felt let down by the system. 

Is Sane Australia going to be sold off to Medibank Private and privatised like 1800RESPECT was..... it seems there's a chance...

Corny 

@Corny  it appears I've been living under a rock too long. I missed the privatisation of 1800RESPECT! Wow, that's kind of scary really!

Wow! That's deplorable @Corny !

I'll think twice as a community service worker in referring clients if services aren't up to scratch!

Hey there @Corny  and @Queenie  Thank you so much for raising this discussion, I just wanted to say I am sorry to hear of your experiences with varying therapies and practitioners who have caused further distress along the recovery journey. This is really challenging. I do think it's important to note, there are many very decent practitioners in Australia as well, and not all modalities work for everyone; each therapeutic modality must be the right fit for the individual.

I just want to make a note to say so far this threa is above board, but would encourage members to be mindful of the professional advice guideline. We need to try and ensure our statements are not too directive, each member needs to reflect on what treatment options are right for them alongside a trusted health professional. It's really good to focus on feeling and personal experience, but we would encourage you to try to keep the convo away from directives about what treatment options other members should and shouldn't engage in.

I understand this can be challenging, so if any members have further questions on the Professional Advice guideline please reach out to us via team@saneforums.org Heart

Well @Corny @Appleblossom @outlander @greenpea @Eden1919 and anyone I've forgotten to tag (my apologies I'm not with it today).

I'm going into hospital on 25 November (exactly one month before Christmas)... I hope I'll be okay and not in there for Christmas Day.

@Queenie  will be thinking of you my dear friend and remember to keep in touch wont you or the pea will worry. xxxx

@Queenie  I hope it goes well for you and is helpful. I also hope you dont have to be there over christmas. 

hey @Queenie I hope the hospital admission will be helpful and that youll be okay enough to not be there during Christmas or at least get day leave for a few hrs.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance