Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Casual Contributor

Work family and play

Hi all

Just saw the forum and thought I would post this

I suffer from bi polar and I am interested how other people live. I have a wife 2 boys 6 and 8 and a mortgage so feel overwhelmed with responsibilities If you have bipolar
1. Are you able to work full time ?
2. What type of work do you do?

Work seems to be one of my biggest triggers so I am trying to workout how other people work.

I can't even afford to go to hospital when I am really sick as we would miss house repayments so I just solider on ridding a roller coaster
3 how do you get off the roller coaster?
Look forward to your replies 😄
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Work family and play

Hi @730 

Welcome to the forums,i too have bipolar, currently i am not working, due to a number of reasons, i will give a quick run down, sort of diagnosed in 08/09 medications psychologists etc, in 2012 i stopped taking my meds, was feeling ok, then due to have some severe episodic moments, lost my job.

I was working full time as a manager 6 days a week, Automotive sales, in a high stress environment, for me stress is a big thing for affecting me and my rollercoaster ride.

In speaking with my psychiatrist and psychologist for bipolar our cognitive thinking is generally very good.

For me i need to have some semblance of a structer, so i need to have my day planned out fairly set, have breakfast, lunch, dinner, go for a walk/exercise do breathing techniques/exercises.

Getting off the roller coaster, i am not to sure of, i am hoping that with the right combination of meds for me, and getting the right support from psychologist and psychiatrist i will be able to get off the roller coaster

I hope that helps, please feel free to ask more questions

Thanks very much for your feedback

I am starting to realise the toll it is taking on my wife as well.

I guess the general population are all trying to get off some sort of roller coaster. Kids to sports school work life balance ...

You mentioned structure which I think would also be very important to me and my family.

I am going to get back on fish oil tablets , vitamins, try exercising and find someone I can talk to on a regular basis. I mentioned the vitamins as they are good to maintain general health. I find after I get the flu it gives me the blues!

Also poor sleep routine seems to bring me undone all the time but I just don't seem to get into a decent sleep habit

Love to hear from more people and their challenges.

Exercising would really be a help for the body and also for the mind.
Maybe try to have enough sleep, you could start your day right with it.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance