Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Paperdoll76
Casual Contributor

Work changes, ambivalence, anxiety, financial struggles, substance use

Hey all..

I apologise in advance for my ramblings

I'm struggling with work.. I have no drive to be there.  I have taken a fair bit of leave lately due to fairly minor injuries I could have(and previously would have)worked through, but also because I just don't want to be there. 

Being a nurse was my passion. I have always loved the sort of work I do... lately, it means nothing to me.

Then the anxiety kicks in...I'm scared that when I return to work after this bout of leave (I'm off work for plantar fasciitis and a possible tendon rupture) people are going to look at me like I'm lazy, like i'm a bad worker, unreliable, untrustworthy etc etc...

My usual manager is on leave, he has always been very accommodating and understanding regarding  my situation and allowed me to take annual leave when I have no sick leave available.  He has always been primarily concerned with me looking after myself, and has always told me that I have to take care of myself because I am great at my job and they need me back.

I'm concerned that the interim manager won't be as accommodating and I will struggle financially due to having to take unpaid leave, have to cancel psych appointments, and drop some of my training. (I am a powerlifter, and my gym time, training etc is central to my mental health and stability)

I guess I'm scared everything is falling apart, and I don't have the executive functionality at the moment to manage my time,  finances, care for my husband (post major orthopaedic surgery), maintain the household, care for my pets and my ASD son, continue my training for competition, handle work stress and take care of myself as well.

I have to admit the last couple of days I have sunk back in to substance use to try and cope, even though my rational brain  knows that by doing this I am risking my job, my sporting career and my health even further.

I feel like if I don't have some major breakthrough soon I'm going to sink to crisis point.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Work changes, ambivalence, anxiety, financial struggles, substance use

Hi Paperdoll, I feel for you and the situation you are in. I greatly admire nurses as I feel that you do  an amazing thing caring for people in hospital. I have had some hospitalisations in the past for both mental and physical reasons, and the nurses i had treated me with kindness and respect.

Sorry that you have been slipping downwards but I hope that by reaching out to this forum it will help you. I have only recently joined in and in the time I have, it has helped me greatly.

I hope that as you have reached out for help that you will feel understood and encouraged, and that you will find the strength to stop doing the substance abuse

Sending love , encouragement and hugs, roses 🌹 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance