Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

MsManaged
Contributor

What happens next?

What to expect next?

My daughter (27) is currently in a psych ward being the weekend she won't see Dr until Monday. 

1) Will the Dr attempt to speak with me before making a decision on to keep her or discharge her? 

2) any tips, 'buzz words' that may help to convince Dr to keep her? 

3) I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. And I truly know I'm not alone especially with the following but currently I'm feel extremely isolated, like I'm not doing enough for her & myself, exhausted, verge of tears, & though I'm thankful it took only a couple of days to find this forum I'm much more of phone person & yet feel guilty & selfish for saying I just want to b**** & moan about it all. As well I'm feeling like I'm making a big deal out of nothing when others have SOOOOOO much more going on with their lives.

And I'm so sincerely grateful I do live in a time where such support can be found.

Thank you ALL and sorry for combining both questions & mini rant in same post.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: What happens next?

how old is your daughter?  if she is under 18 the doc she will be considered a child and will definately want to talk with you.  Make sure you take some one with you for support. If you want your daughter to stay longer than a few days make sure you say so and why. @MsManaged 

Hi, I doubt it...

Some drs work Saturdays but mostly they aren't around over the weekends so that makes sense that she's waiting til Monday to consult. Nothing to be worried about,

I haven't been in a psych ward as a minor so don't know if they have to involve the family

If u are over 18 I believe they mostly don't contact family unless asked.

@greenpea @EternalFlower 

Thanks for the replies. 

She's over 18. 

And just been informed they are now transferring her to a different hospital.  Where I'm sure those procedures will be different to current hospital. 

Welcome @MsManaged you’ve found the right place for understanding and support. My girl has been in and out of hospital since the age of 17, now 27 and during each admission I have been contacted by the Psychiatrist to provide history as well as general behavioural questions. For my daughters sake, I was always open and honest with the information I provided. It gives them a clear picture to work with. As your daughter is an adult, she may request you not be contacted so be prepared for that. This did happen a few times with my girl but then she became so unwell they overrode that decision and kept me in the loop. It’s always good to speak with the social worker/nursing staff  at the hospital as they spend more one on one time with the patient and can provide good information. I hope your daughter receives the best possible care and wish you peace of mind. 

Hi @MsManaged 

I'm glad you found these forums and really hope they are helpful for you. I'm so sorry your daughter is in hospital right now, it's so hard to deal with when one of our children is not well. The other forum members have offered some great advice. 

Have you heard anything today in regards to her wellbeing?

If you want to speak to a particular forum member it's a handy tip to type @ before the name and pick from the drop-down box. That way you're assured they'll see the message.

sending hugs 

hanami 💮

@hanami 

Thank you & hugs.

The hospital have kept her admitted. She had a nightmare & fell off the bed so hospital have put her bed on the floor (which i had a giggle about - just that already she's making herself at home there). 

They are trying different combos of her medication & given her new anti depressants & sleeping tabs. 

She's taken a deep breath & called her family members to let them know & most have taken it well. 

I am not sure I could have got through this weekend without this forum & had the strength to go to my photo shoot appt either so my sincerest thanks you to all. 

@Krishna 

She told me she will sign the consent forms allowing staff to talk to me but I'm not sure that's happened yet there is one moment in her life that I only know the basics & as she knows it breaks my heart she wants to inform staff that particular moment isn't discussed & she's not sure if that is doable. 

I've yet to be contacted. Though when I dropped more clothes to her I spoke to a nurse telling her I didn't feel it was safe for my daughter to be at home & let the "team" know. 

Hi @MsManaged 

I’m so glad things are going ok and that the forums have helped you so much. That’s just wonderful! What kind of photo shoot did you go to? Sounds interesting! 

🤗 🤗 🤗 

hanami 🌸 

Hi @MsManaged  As hard as it, I’m glad the hospital have admitted your daughter. There were many heartbreaking memories I had to share/relive with my girls doctors but it’s best they have the full picture. In saying that, I’m also sure there are many things that I am unaware of that may have assisted the team. It sounds like they’re doing all they can to stabilise your daughter and am sure they will be in contact soon. They spend quite some time monitoring mood and behaviour before coming to any conclusions. Just know she is safe and being cared for. It’s so distressing I know. Here if you need to unload your worries. ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance