Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

M_P90
Senior Contributor

Unenthusiastic about life

TW: mention of thoughts of suicide, domestic abuse, eating disorder

So, over Christmas/ New Year, I took a break down the coast where my family lives. My state of mind was OK, Last year, I was in lockdown for 4 months, and I was determined to enjoy the positive experiences that had been out of my reach for that time. I wanted to swim in the ocean, take a boat trip and see dolphins, that sort of stuff. I was really trying to make the most of those experiences when they came around, be present and grateful. All the positive psychology stuff. 

But, it wasn't as simple as that. Family dynamics were difficult, for one thing. Being with my mum is like experiencing intense gaslighting. She can say something incredibly hurtful but genuinely seems to lack the insight or emotional intelligence to understand why it is hurtful. She's also heavy on the disordered eating but in denial. Being around her made me feel really bad about my body and what I eat. 

I tried to consciously "let go" of what she was saying, imagining water off a duck's back. But I came away feeling lonelier than ever, because she just doesn't get it and makes me feel crazy and alien. As an adult I understand now that she's the odd one, very odd actually and struggles to connect with me and understand me. But, I still feel this childhood pain of rejection. 

I'm very lonely in my life. I was starting to date again, very hard after a history of domestic abuse, but I'm so consumed with hating my body it feels impossible to bridge that right now. 

In the wash, the positive experiences have just fallen away, and felt hollow. I was excited about these experiences but they've come and passed and I'm left feeling truly apathetic. 

I've been plagued with thoughts of suicide since early adolescence. I'm safe and have it under control. But, it's not just like I want pain or distress to end, but I feel like the positive things that are meant to balance it out are empty and I don't care? I have a counsellor's appointment next week and all of that stuff, but I'm speaking about an existential feeling more than "mental illness". I'm tired and I can't get excited about anything, and I'm giving up on my goals because they feel impossible.

I think maybe if I could spend time with someone who does not gaslight me and undermine my sense of self worth, maybe I could feel different but that feels impossible. Does that person exist? Or am I just as crazy and defective as I feel. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unenthusiastic about life

You sound very intelligent and insightful. You seem to be doing what is necessary to help yourself. Good on you because I know how tiring that can be.
Yes there are people out here that will not undermine your sense of worth. I truly hope you connect with one soon.

Hi Darling,

No you are not Crazy or Defective, Feeling totally detached from everything you used to love sucks, and i know my words sound a little hollow and i'm sorry for that. Have you spoken to your GP about these feelings, I am on an anti-depressant, to help me regulate my detached states. 

There are several numbers you can call while you are waiting to see your counselor.

nony_0-1641527126578.png

I'm sending extra Hugs and Care.

HUGS

Nony

Hi there @M_P90,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had what sounds to be an invalidating (at best) experience over Christmas with your family. The holiday period can certainly have a knack of bringing out the best, but also the worst.

I wanted to check in with you that you're doing okay today? And to let you know that SANE provides a free counselling service Mon-Fri 10am-10pm on 1800 187 263, as well as a web chat service with a peer support worker, which you can access here.

Feeling for you @M_P90 💙

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @M.P90 I hope you find a good relationship where you won't be abused and gaslighted and undermined. you don't deserve inhumane treatment from other people like that. I'm sorry your last relationship went sour.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance