Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Treatment resistant

Hello everyone it has been a while I was in the hospital again for a long time and I am out now but I am still struggling quite a bit. I was told I was treatment resistant which is kind of scary and they tried a particular medication but I had a very bad reaction and had to stop it now it feels like no one knows what to do and things are starting to come back again and I don’t know what to do I am feeling very hopeless about it all. Has anyone else been told they are treatment resistant? What helped other than the usual eat well sleep well exercise and manage stress because I feel like I am trying everything I can and nothing is enough I am trying to just work on acceptance but it is hard. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Treatment resistant

Hey @Eden1919 ,

That must be so hard to hear - that you are 'treatment resistant'. it makes you sort of think you are 'too hard to help'. I'm sure many members can relate to this. That is, they are told they are 'treatment resistant'.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to certain medication. I've been wondering how you are since I hadn't seen you in a long time. 

Whatever it is, I'm glad to hear from you again, and somehow, I seem to believe that while there is breath, there is hope.

Hold on to this hope even though it seems so hard,

tyme

Hi there @Eden1919 

@tyme is so right that while there is breath there is hope. 

Have you tried ECT or TMS ? 

These are options I will be willing to tru if medication fails. There are risks associated. 

I hope tonight you can be kind to yourself ❤

Christheart

What is it that is coming back?

@Eden1919 

I was told once that I was treatment resistant.  This was a new Psychologist I had only seen for 6 visits.  As soon as I heard her say those words,  I knew she was wrong.  I was not treatment resistant.  I responded well to my earlier Psychologist by practicing the techniques that he taught me.  But it was true that I had had no luck with the medication. 

I spoke to my Psychiatrist the next day and told him what she said.  He told me that I wasn't treatment resistant.  It was purely that we hadn't found the right medication or combination of medications yet.  But that he was still looking and searching.

1 year later from that conversation and my Psychiatrist added a Mood Stabiliser to my antidepressant.  Within days I went into complete remission.  No Depression.  No suicidal urges.  Clear headed.  Feeling alive and well. 

I struggle to believe the phrase "treatment resistant ". I think it is a cop out to say,  it's your fault you're not getting better,  cos I (the experts) have done all that I can.  I just don't believe it.  I think you just haven't found the right meds for yourself yet.  Some of us are a little harder to find the right dosage,  but with a good Psychiatrist,  hopefully we will get there. 

So as hard as it might have been to hear those words,  don't take them to heart.  You may need a combination of meds,  or you might need TMS,   or another treatment.  I just believe you need a persistent Psychiatrist who doesn't give up on you. 

@tyme thanks I am trying to stay hopeful it is just very hard. 

@Christheart  TMS isn’t approved for my diagnosis and ECT is not something I would ever do willingly personally it is not for me. Hopefully it never comes to that. 

@utopia  Yes hopefully I will eventually find a combination that works but I have tried a lot and often get bad side effects so my options are somewhat limited I don’t think the psychiatrist who said that to me was giving up I think he was just acknowledging that it was difficult but it is hard words to hear either way and it definitely makes you feel like there is less hope. But I suppose you never know maybe one day things will magically start working the way they are supposed too. 

@AussieRecharger  That is complicated it is a lot of things I guess, fear lots of fear that people may have bad intentions towards me and thoughts that others would say aren’t based in reality but that to me very much are, seeing and hearing things that other are not experiencing, lots of things really. 

Hi @Eden1919 , great to see you 🙂

But I'm sorry you've been labelled 'treatment resistant' 😞 That must be so hard to hear. 

Sending wishes for hope for you...

Hi @Eden1919 ,

How are you today? 

Were you able to do somethings pleasant for yourself today?

Thinking of you,

tyme

Thanks for letting me know @Eden1919 .

How do you deal with these situations?  I imagine that it would give you a feeling of panic?  Can you elaborate on the responses you have when you are enduring the sounds, voices and feelings of dreadedness? 

Is it really hard to decipher what response you should be having to the stimulus you are experiencing?

@NatureLover  thank you 

@tyme  i haven’t been able to do much lately for some reason I am only able to sleep during the day and am up all night so it is making things very difficult. 

@AussieRecharger  Well it sort of depends what I am experiencing at the time like for example I saw a moth the other day that just vanished into thin air I was a little confused but not scared because it was just a moth but then other times when the voices are telling me to hurt people I do get very scared and agitated and on edge so it really depends on what it is as to how I react. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance