Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Treatment order

Hi @Eden1919 

Gosh that doesn't seem fair at all. I'm thinking that you are absolutely entitled to some sort of support at the hearing. I've been to them, supporting people and there is no way I'd want to be there alone as the person they are 'examining' and making decisions about. It would be really initimidating and overwhelming. I would ask your case manage about it if legal aid can't help. Legal aid SHOULD help as they say they offer advocacy. 

Hang in there!

Hanami

The suggestion to call Lifeline was in response to you stating that the tribunal was going to occur on friday and you had no support. It seems that didn't happen so therefore it's irrelevant.

So you have the details of the order, what are those details?

Are you aware of what is supposed to happen?

https://www.mht.wa.gov.au/what-we-do/our-hearings/

Have you been to see a GP to conplain about the pain the injections cause? I'm pretty sure you could get a medical certificate stating that you are in great pain (and all the effects the injections cause) that excuses you from work or perhaps even attending the tribunal, though I'd be disinclined to miss it, because I believe it's your best chance to state your grievances and have things changed in your favour.

You mentioned you don't have an advocate, why is this? Do you have anyone willing ro support you?

You're talking about legal aid, and particularly that they were of no assistance "last time"; I would pressume that the treating team is giving treatment/s and suggesting treatment/s that are within the law, so unless you have some legal reason to oppose them why are you going down that path? Wouldn't an advocate be more help?
You state "they said all this terrible stuff about me" and "idk how i am going to prove it because it is my word against them". The point here is that it is definitely their word against yours and therefore it's up to them ro prove it if you deny it. As i recall, in tribunals you are able to deny things and apeak up as and when you see fit to do so. Importantly one must not make themself troublesome and be careful about choosing when and how to interupt and when to stay silent. Although it is an argumentative process (in my experience) it is not a court of law and you have a great deal of liberty to speak and state your case. Obviously the hope is that you convince the panel wirh tour argument.

I understand your frustrations with the timing of things and the delays in notifications you receive are justified, you should make a big deal about this at the tribunal and state that this is detrimental to your mental health and in a large way causal to your health condition. You can follow this line of thought and argue that without such awful treatment your condition would improve. It's up to you how much you empasise this.

At the end of the day it's your choice what you say to the panel and how you go about convincing them that what you say and what you're asking for is fair and reasonable, therfore it's crucial that you are clear about what you want. Make a few salient points and stick to them. Keep things as simple as possible and stick to your guns.

If it were me or I was representing, I would be researching the drug/s that you're being injected with and finding acceptable alternative medicine/s and treatments that you'd be willing to comply with. The more you are prepared to participate in your treatment the more likely you are to obtain a successful outcome. Having a friend/advocate/witness that can vouch for you and testify on your behalf will go a long long way to success. Also if that person is willing ro be a part of and participate in your treatment plan so much the beter.

I have so much I COULD say but there is only so much time and space. If only there were a way to speak to you directly...

From the legal aid website:

https://www.legalaid.wa.gov.au/find-legal-answers/managing-your-affairs/mental-health

Legal Aid WA does not give legal advice on mental health treatment or your rights as a patient. Here are some other organisations that may be able to help you.

Follow the link above and there is a list of agencies and their contacts that will/can help.

Oh dear @Eden1919 ,

I’m so sorry all this is happening. Seems so

unfair and it seems you have little say. 

Somehow, unfortunately, I do think medical advice will prevail over what you want/don’t want.

Im so sorry @Eden1919  - here’s a hug. I hope you get your voice heard.

@hanami  i dont have anyone to "go with me" because it is on the phone so like i cant really have a support person plus i have no one who could go with me anyway. I will try and contact legal aid tomorrow and ask them what they can actually do. 

@KenMathers  I am not in WA so things are a little different here. I have told the GP and there is nothing they can do about it I have told the psychiatrist and my case manager and they dont care they just think i am over reacting even though it is causing me serious problems. at the last hearing you could only speak during "your time" and even though i told them the side effects were bad they didnt care even when i told them what had actually happened they didnt care all they cared about was what the doctors had to say. i have tried so many meds and they always give me bad side effects there are not many left i havent tried. 

@BPDSurvivor  i just hate it i am so tired and i am sick of the meds i dont want them anymore but 12 months more on them i cant deal with that i really cant. i know they will just go with whatever the doctors want and i know deep down fighting is useless but it feels wrong. 

I’m listening @Eden1919 , I feel your hurt. I’m really really sorry you are being subjected to something so against how you feel about it.

At the same, what are your options if you don’t have the injections? Can you take the meds yourself instead?

@BPDSurvivor  I mean technically I could take the meds in tablet form but I wouldn’t because I don’t want to be on this med in the first place because I hate it and the side effects. It isn’t just the how I take it I don’t want to take it at all. But I am not going to tell them that at the tribunal hearing because they will just think I am being unreasonable. 

I guess that’s where the dilemma is @Eden1919 . From what it sounds like, they believe you need the medication, but you don’t want to take it because of the side effects. Hence they give you depot whereby you get the medication as well as the pain of the injections? 

Am I right in saying this?

@BPDSurvivor  well it isnt just the pain of the actual injection that is bad too but it is the side effects that cause pain, it is causing me to gain even more weight which is causing me immense back pain and it causes muscle stiffness and soreness which makes it hard to walk without pain, it makes me sleepy which makes it hard to wake up and do my uni work it makes me drool when i sleep which causes me to wake up more and is super gross and a bunch of other things.  

Awwww @Eden1919 . I wish they could find a better solution!!!! Seems so unfair.

I hear that the meds pretty much make you a zombie. Are they aware of this? Aware that that is not hire life should be?

I hope they hear you out. Don’t give up on voicing your thoughts.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance