Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Treatment order

My treatment team said they are applying for another treatment order and I don’t know what to do I don’t know if I should even bother going to the tribunal or not and if I do go I am not sure what I could say that would make them not put me on another order. I am really just exhausted and kind of sad and one of the medications I am on I want to stop because it is an injection and it is very painful and I am sick of having it all the time and but they won’t let me stop it and I don’t know what to do. 

41 REPLIES 41

Re: Treatment order

A treatment order can sound very traumatic @Eden1919 - I hear that. 

It is not my place to tell you what to do in this matter, but I trust you can work with your treating team to determine what's best for you in your situation.

Take care,

tyme

Hey @Eden1919 , 

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation and you might be making a step backward before you start moving forward again.  I would hope that those that are giving you the medication are giving you access to an advocate or nurse navigator to hear your concerns.  Whats the end goal of the treatment and medication?

@tyme  But we disagree on what is best they want me on medication and I don’t like the side effects or having to take it at all. But they think the only way I will stay out of hospital is if I take meds but the injection is so painful and the pain last for a few weeks after having it and I don’t want to have it anymore but they want me to keep having it. 

@AussieRecharger  No I have no advocate and there is no end goal they never want me to stop the medication they want me to take it for the rest of my life there is no end result or end in sight it is just this for as long as they want. 

Hi @Eden1919 I just wanted to send you my best wishes. I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation.  You've been struggling for quite a while and maybe your team see the treatment order as a circuit breaker. 

If you can manage to attend the tribunal it might give a good impression and boost your chances of negotiating a different outcome now or in the future.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Dimity

@Dimity  well idk about a circuit breaker because i have been on a treatment order for the last year and a half but yeah i am just tired of it and idk what i will do at the hearing. thanks anyway though. 

Sounds tough @Eden1919

Take care.

@Eden1919  re: Treatment order

• It is so annoying having to take medication that has side effects. Have you talked with your pharmacist about pain relief and what you can take for the other side- effects to ameliorate them? That is what I do. Otherwise, how are you when you are on the medication,? Do you feel better on it?. I wish you all the best whatever you decide to do. 💟

Hey @Eden1919 

Reading your post now, I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in what you are going through.

I know it probably doesn't help much.

I have years 'observer' experience of what you are describing as a carer for my friend.

I try my best to sympathise with his situation. I cannot begin to imagine the potential damage it could have on one's psyche to go through this experience of being forced meds.

As his friend, I have seen how unwell he becomes without his injections. This also potentially causes great harm to his well being. I personally cannot cope without him taking medication. Yes, this is unfair for me to expect him to take medication or even encourage CTO if he refuses. I'm sorry things are this way. It is not his fault (obviously) that he is diagnosed & required to be treated. It is not my fault that I need him to accept treatment in order to maintain any relationship with him. I am always open to the concept that he might not need the medication one day & will stand by him if he ever chooses to trial this. (This has occurred countless times already in the past)

Regarding the pain you are experiencing, have you discussed this with your doctor?

Your doctor needs to listen to your concerns, regardless if a CTO is in place. You have the right to a pain free experience (as much as possible). Your doctor, (or nurse who is giving injections) needs to make adjustments to lessen any pain issues.

I don't want make suggestions on what these could possibly be. I am not medically trained in that area & my suggestions are only anecdotal. However your nurse, or psych need to be aware 

My friend has never attended attended a tribunal hearing. Likely he feels similar to you. I think also, he feels that it would be more shattering to go & feel unheard regardless. It is a very difficult situation. I am sorry you have to go through this.

Maybe, if you wanted, you could look at it as merely an opportunity to express the issues you are experiencing, without relying, or expecting the decision to made in your favour. Maybe, it could just be a place to speak your voice?

If you decide that this is not what you want to do, that is ok too.

I believe the CTO only goes for 6 months? If they do decide to extend it, it will be ok. You can reassess again after that 6 months. I understand this must be a very difficult time for you. Please talk with doctor about any negative issues. Make sure they are clear in understanding that you are experiencing pain & that this is unacceptable to you, if they plan to extend treatment 

Wishing you best of luck.

maddison xx 

Most respondents seem reluctant to TELL you what to do...

It seems to me that you have two choices, you can comply or resist.

Resisting physically is likely to get attention. Ducking out of the way of the syringe most obviously. If you stand instead of sitting or sit instead of standing, or keep walking around rather than staying still, stay still instead of moving and general avoidance tactics might get you physically restrained. It's difficult to determine exactly what results you would get from resistance but cooperation will definitely get you a plan and a planned outcome... an end result that you're ok with.

At very least another tribunal meeting would allow you to have a say in how things continue. Initially you should insist a treatment plan be made and that you have the right to contribute to the plan and that there must be a end goal. You're entitled to be made aware of the medications they give you including their names, their side affects, their intended affects. If you've been saying all along that one of the side affects for you is great pain, physically and mentally, and that they're not doing anything about that is seriously unethical. Speak up for yourself (without raising your voice too loudly) and continue to talk until you are heard and have a say in what's happens.

I'm not you, I'm not in your position. I don't have to deal with what you're going through and I don't get a say in what happens to you BUT YOU DO.

I guess the more you get to decide what happens the better it is for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance