Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Used2Be
Senior Contributor

Treatment options

My husband is now on the maximum dose of his various medications. He has been working a psychologist and psychiatrist for a number of years. In terms of his therapy, he has made some progress, but has reached a stalemate, which has coincided with a significant downward drop in his mood and other concerning behaviour. Although he is safe, I have been very worried, This week he finally got the results of his eeg, which shows that the "absences" and twitches/jerks are not epilepsy related (good news), but are instead related to his ptsd and side effects of his medication. His behaviour was picked up at work, and he was referred to their psychologist, which we were both very negative about. But it has got him thinking about other treatment options. He gave the new psych permission to speak with his psychiatrist, who has also been very concerned, as hubby has been very unstable. New psychologist suggested exposure therapy. Psychiatrist agrees it is a good option, but says hubby is simply too unstable to cope. As dh is no longer Responding to the meds, and as there are no other medications left to try (they have tried a variety over time), the psychiatrist says that his next option is ect (shock therapy), and then only would he suggest hubby try the exposure therapy. Has anyone had any experience with either of these approaches? Obviously I am not asking for medical opinions, just how you and your loved one coped with it, side effects you noted, and the effect on your relationship. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Treatment options

Hmmm. This is a tough situation. Why is ECT necessary before trying another therapy? I am wondering whether therapies like ACT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy, or CBT Cognitive Behaviour Therapy or other talkinff therapies or mindfulness based ones might also help your husband.
It is really tricky as some people I know swear ECT has been a lifesaver, and others have said it has helped with severe depression but short term memory loss was a big impact that wasn't mentioned much pre treatment.

It would be helpful in the these areas if tour husband could talk to a person who had used ECT..

How long has your husband got before he has RO make a decision? Could he or you ask the Lived Experience Forum?

Sorry Used2Be, can't offer any pearls of wisdom but can hear your concern and hope that your husband turns the corner soon.

Hi Usedtobe,

You mentioned your husband and you both being unimpressed with the Psychologist.
Is it an option to see another psychologist of his choosing before making a decision about the ECT?

These links have some information regarding treatments:

http://www.som.uq.edu.au/ptsd/ptsd-treatments/ptsd-treatment-table.aspx
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/826168
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/582533

Great links Ivana! And absolutely agree with trying another psychologist..

Hi Used2Be,

\How's things? Have you managed to contact anyone yet?

Let us know how you are doing.

Hobbit.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance