Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Trauma and loneliness

@Appleblossom completely agree. I think having a trauma informed therapist helps to guide you. Don’t think I really noticed the patterns from hyper to hypo arousal before and how much disassociation I was doing when the trauma happened.

@creative_writer wrote:
I feel like culture often tells you to keep yourself so busy to avoid your emotions, that only increases stress and the burn out feeling.

You are so wise, @creative_writer . 

@Appleblossom wrote:

If we dont face our demons we tend to keep repeating behaviours and relationship patterns without reflecting. 

This is so true, @Appleblossom . I'm a  big believer in self-reflection.

@NatureLoverself-reflection is so important. I have a tendency to push myself to my limits, like lately I’ve felt the need to push myself to exercise despite feeling unwell physically, I even had a migraine aura the other day but continued to exercise, I think it was the sense of control, trying to minimise disruption in exercise routine, it sounds a bit obsessive, but sometimes I can be very rigid and set in my ways. I don’t want to lose my fitness, it takes a lot of hard work. Same thing with healthy eating, processed food triggers so much anxiety,  they say you don’t need to eat clean 100% of the time, brain won’t listen. I also have been spending too much time on the internet, particularly after I submitted my last assignment to avoid the pain and loneliness. Apologies for the rambling.

@creative_writer wrote:

I also have been spending too much time on the internet, particularly after I submitted my last assignment to avoid the pain and loneliness.

I also use distraction, @creative_writer ...distraction is good, but I can relate to spending too much time on the internet. I always feel much better when I stop looking at my phone and start meditating (not a structured meditation, just thinking through things and engaging with my feelings). You have reminded me that I haven't been doing much meditating lately - so thanks! 

Pushing yourself to your limits - what does that satisfy in you? It must serve a need in you...I'd be interested to hear. 

@NatureLoveryes, sometimes we do need to sit down mediate or deeply think about things. I probably should do that more often. Being away from electronics, and doing a lot of reflection in nature can be good for the soul. Honestly, I’ve crashed now and am stuck in bed, I mean what did I expect? My body is probably just very tired, really bad migraine, but I also seem to be very congested. I think I try to get a sense of control through exercise and diet, chronic pain and mental health can make your life feel out of control. 

@creative_writer  Sorry to hear about your bad migraine and congestion... 😞

@creative_writer wrote:

I think I try to get a sense of control through exercise and diet, chronic pain and mental health can make your life feel out of control. 

Ah yes, I can relate to needing a sense of control. I have this very intensely, and it's trauma-related, for me. I'm very sorry about your chronic pain 😞

@NatureLover trauma is just hard. I’m trying to recover, getting there slowly. Haven’t been managing my emotions properly, I can’t stop attaching myself to my phone to escape into the realm of the internet. I just don’t want to feel sad and lonely, and frankly, haven’t been in the mood to reach out for support. I have a fear of developing a dependency, and I’m afraid people will not understand, so why even bother? Over time one learns to control emotions to prevent tears from seeping through.

@creative_writer wrote:
I have a fear of developing a dependency, and I’m afraid people will not understand, so why even bother?

@creative_writer  I don't think people necessarily need to understand to be able to help...I know my psychologist doesn't have my 6 MIs, but I've got a lot of healing through therapy with her.

Is your fear of developing a dependency a fear of what happens if they leave?

And yes, trauma is tough...I feel for you.

@NatureLover someone does not have to have the same MI or experienced the same trauma to understand, they don’t have to completely understand, but I don’t want to be stared at blankly. You want to feel validated, heard and connected to the person you are talking to.

I think the fear of dependency may be related to fear of vulnerability. Like I don’t want to be too vulnerable, needy, and I certainly don’t want to burden people.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance