Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Trauma after major operation and mental health

@Mazarita  I can sincerely see that hospitals and mental healthcare are understaffed.  I pay a lot for private cover and find that I, often, get the shortfall.  It is all about saving dollars $$$.  I feel a lot of pride towards nurses for they are on their feet all day and trying so hard to do their job with minimal resources. This ICU doctor was so overpowering towards me that it has left me to wonder how he must treat the staff and other patients. Training in empathy is definitely required. 

I saw my psychiatrist today, who advised that perhaps when it comes to hospitalisation, that I should mentally note my vulnerability prior, so that when/if things happen to me that I may be more prepared and it may have less of an impact.  I just hope that I will not need hospitalisation too soon.

I am feeling a bit less pain of recent, so physically getting better. I am now spending my time concentrating on getting well so as to hopefully get emotionally better too.

@Mazarita I hope that you will build on some strengths, psychologically, in case of future hospitalisation.  Enjoy the good days. ☺

@Cestmoi thanks for the good wishes surround my hospital fears. If I get advance notice that one needs to happen, I too will try to do what your psychiatrist recommended: be prepared with maybe a letter from him containing instructions to hospital about relaxant meds being available to me if and when I feel I need them (if my physical condition can allow that). 

Been thinking more about your ICU experience with the nurses and guessing that being in intensive care may have meant they could not give you any personal space for medical monitoring reasons. This however could have been explained to you with much more care and kindness, instead of the opposite you experienced.

I also remembered hearing that a great number of patients experience psych problems simply from being in ICU at all. Apparently it's not uncommon for patients to even experience hallucinations while in there. This includes patients with no history of psych problems. Not sure where I got this info though.

That doctor sounds a real shocker, not unlike some I have met in my time. I guess he must be a technically outstanding doctor to be head of ICU, but in personality and attitude he just seems so unsuited to the profession of healing people, actually damaging to them in other ways, as in your case. 

May your healing progress quickly now with maximum improvements to your health.

@Mazarita thank you for this supportive response. I received a call from the hospital and I am so glad that they are taking what happened to me seriously. I can only hope that some training/changes will come about from this.

Do keep strong @Mazarita 

Thanks, @Cestmoi. Good to know they seem to be hearing your feedback about the experience. 

I am okay at the moment. Have recently come out of a tough few months of daily headaches, sometimes very severe. Getting better at taking the migraine med at the right time so it is more effective in stopping them, needing it only occasionally now, like tonight. Relieved to be okay enough to find some enjoyment in things. I find my life good in other ways. Smiley Happy

Hope the pain is starting to ease and the body's natural healing is starting to help you get better.

Great that you are able to find enjoyment @Mazarita

I am better, taking less pain medication. Still walking like a penguin 🐧 at times.

Great to hear your physical healing is progressing well, @Cestmoi. Penguins are cool. Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance