Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Things make us feel uncomfortable including triggers

@greenpea @Stacy1 @Appleblossom @Former-Member @NatureLover 

Thank you for sharing and I will get back to you soon. 

Aww, looking forward to it X.

@Gwynn wrote:
Something that has always stressed me out has been being forced to listen to talkie radio while in the car, I don't know why. When I had my psychosis, I heard voices, so I guess it's fitting that I've always been freaked out by the disembodied voices on the radio.

@Gwynn I hear you and thank you for sharing. That makes sense; how do you manage your feelings?

@Rosie93 wrote:

Hi @oceangirl thanks for starting this discussion Smiley Happy

@Gwynn you're not alone there... I can't stand listening to talking radio. It makes me really anxious and uncomfortable. I also experience psychosis, so maybe others also have the same experience?

Rosie93

@Rosie93 I hear you and thank you for sharing. Glad you're able to talk about it and recognize that you have similar experience. And sharing of that helps us feel connected and reduces our own negative feelings- hope I am getting this right- please correct me if this is not the case @Gwynn 

@NatureLover wrote:

What a great thread, thank you, @oceangirl ...

One of my triggers is talking about accidents or injuries - I have a completely terrified phobia about them. It's almost PTSD, as I've had too many accidents and injuries in my life. I also can't cope with talking about physical illnesses like gastro or anything that's catching - that's due to my germophobia. 

I thought I'd mention them as most people wouldn't even think of them as phobias or triggers.

@NatureLover   My pleasure and hope it helps us share our experiences. I think, sharing our vulnerability helps build health relationship/s, in a safe environment too.

I hear you and thank you for sharing. It makes sense and you're not alone in being upset/triggered/anxious bt this. I think its brave to share your thoughts and feelings and also more personal issues. I know it can be hard but the more we talk about the tough, hopefully with time we can reduce those negative feelings quicker and not have the same reaction to certain events.  

I don't think you're alone in your experiences, I know I don't tlike talking about personal things. It may not be a phobia as such but it could make me feel uncomfortable and I am trying to understand that more. 

@Former-Member wrote:

I'm still healing from a break-up, so a lot of things make me upset that really shouldn't. Seeing couples out and about is really difficult for me. Being attracted to people is really painful.

Beyond that, I get upset when people talk about how kind and sweet people are when they haven't known them for very long, including myself. Like I have spoken to people online, and they have said "from what I've seen, you're funny, intelligent, caring... who wouldn't want to be around someone like that?" Apparently a lot of people.

@Former-Member  I hear you and thank you for sharing !

Its understandable that you're struggling after a recent breakup and I hope you give yourself time and space that you need. Please reach out here for support and to others too. Its understanding how people are quite superfical at times and that people tend to love people that are fake and not so kind to people that are geninue and real. I know that is not all people but I think it happens too often. 

I hope you do more of the things you enjoy and get happier and healthier in the process!

@Appleblossom wrote:

My triggers are little more like yours @Former-Member 

We are so individual, it will all depend on our experience.  It is a great thread @oceangirl to unpack the issues of triggers, rather than presume what one is.  A lot of people watch action and horror and get excited rather than triggered watching that stuff .... I believe deepest healing comes to understanding our own lives and then making better informed choices.

@Appleblossom I hear you and thank you for sharing. 

You have great insight and its made me think more about how things impact and how I react to certain- events and people and environments. I think many us presume too much. You also mention important issues around healing and moving forward. And perhaps building relationships of trust can help us heal too by making better choices too. What do you think?

@greenpea wrote:

@oceangirl  great thread :). For me some are shopping centres, movie theatres, being amongst lots of people. Even writing this is making me feel anxious. Noise is bad for me. One of the reasons why I am feeling like I need to retreat into the country to save my sanity.

@greenpea  I hear you and thank you for sharing. Its my pleasue- I hope it helps !!

I get really anxious talking about things like this and is that because we feel not so good about ourselves and worried about what others might think etc. You are not alone by wanting to escape to a quieter life because many people are looking for a less stressful way of life. When you're feeling better are able to manage your triggers better etc noise?

Another reason I started this thread is because I am so uncomfrtable talking about my feelings and esp my triggers etc. But in saying that I am starting to feel more comfortable too- confusing eh? 

My biggest triggers is more general but I am going to try to get more specific (has I understand what is happening) but interacting with others- not all people. I get very anxious and uncomfortable. That is what I feel like on the inside- I probably look quite good to others. Hope this is making sense

@greenpea @Former-Member @Stacy1 @Appleblossom @NatureLover @Gwynn 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance