Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

SPE1
New Contributor

Supporting husband

Hi all

My husband is just coming off meds after 12 years (PTSD diagnosis,  ex-police). He was doing well but Friday night he drank too much, was angry and almost violent for the first time in our 5 year relationship.  He has little memory of the events and now doesn't want to talk about it. I'm not really coping with seeing this side of him and need to talk it through to process it, if that makes sense.  I know this is all about him, but it is about me too. How do I get him to talk about it and open up when he doesn't want to?

PS....I'm not sure if this makes sense. I know I'm not supposed to make it about me,  but I find PTSD a selfish bloody interloper in our relationship. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Supporting husband

Hi @SPE1 ,

Thank you for sharing what has been happening for you. 

Do you think part of what is happening is because he is coming off the meds? Perhaps what is happening can be noted down and so the doctor can monitor what is happening?

Another thing, please feel free to contact 1800RESPECT. They may be able to give you some valuable advice. 1800 737 732

Speak soon, tyme

@SPE1 

Hello amazing Queen,

I absolutely understand when my partner was going through a mental breakdown too I would keep myself awake at night thinking why can’t my partner just pull himself together you know or geez let it go already and move on. I’ve come to realize most men of gen Y and before weren’t taught to talk about their feelings or how to deal with male mental stress you know it’s was boys are tough show no tears blah blah blah. If your partner is anything like mine, get him to go do activities with genuine good people that he trusts and loves too, for my partner it was fishing and that’s where they all talk about life and their struggles it’s the best, he’ll come around to you in due time, right now he needs to be around folk that want to see him be the best that he can be for himself and his family, not folk that are down for a drink. My saving grace was the old folk around our new home town, they have been an answer to my prayer, my partner is refreshed and is back to the man I know he is to be. I understand for your husband being an ex cop will take so much more time but I definitely recommend getting him around good people and that will get him out the house. Positive talks, Optimistic talks, then the talks of letting go and healing will come.

hope this helps beautiful, hang in there and slowly peel that onion it’ll be so worth it at the end, don’t forget when his out the house make time for yourself too! Get ya nails done, treat yourself. You got this xx

Awww @94_V , I just read your post to @SPE1 . That's truly so special.

Thank you for sharing.

You're awesome x I really appreciate your reply

Hey @94_V ,

Same to you, that post of appreciation above is for you @SPE1 🙂

So just a hint @SPE1 , you can type "@" in front of 94_V's name so they get a tag/notification of your reply - like this @94_V 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance