Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Aramas
New Contributor

Stuck in the middle

Ive been having a rough week. I did what I was always told to do, if I'm not feeling ok, ask for help. So far I've tried to get help from my gp, psychiatrist, a mental health helpline, and 4  hospitals they recommended. They've all told me there is a waiting list, wait to hear from us, but I can't do this for a month. Every person I've talked to said if you are in crisis go to the ED. Well im not in crisis but im also not ok. How do you get help when  your in the middle grey area of too sick but not sick enough? Why is the system set up for recovery over prevention? I dont want to go to hospital but I dont know how ill survive as I am.. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Stuck in the middle

Hello @Aramas 

Sorry you are worried to the point you reach out and then feel rebuffed.  Not easy.  A lot of people are in some type of holding pattern trying to make do.  I hope reading thru the forum and getting to know people will help while you marshall your own inner resources.

Take care and stay safe

Apple

Hi @Aramas  

glad you've posted here amd hope ot

provides some small relief in the wait. Most psychs are booked out at the moment but if you are t seeking on person in particular you could call around a few and ask to be put on cancelations lists. You'd be surprised how many cancellations they get so sometimes you can get in quicker that way

Hello,

if you're looking for advice I would suggest that you go to the hospital and tell them exactly what's going with yourself. But I would suggest going in and just telling them how you feel and not mentioning the other people you have seen. This way they will do bloods for you and they might pick up something there. 

I wish you well

Hi @Aramas. Welcome to the forum. You are right that the mental health system is inadequate to deal with the amount of people in need. From my understanding, public hospital mental health will usually only admit in the most dire cases. Waiting lists for psychiatrists are very hard when we are in a lot of distress. The marketing of mental health services paints an overly rosy picture of things in my view.

As @destructive said, this forum has helped a lot of us connect with others in similar situations and at least some people to talk to who can understand. Many of us have also received good practical advice in the course of talking to others here.

Hoping the best for you.

Hi @Aramas 

I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through. It's so disheartening when you find the strength to reach out for help and are knocked back for any reason. I've been there too. It sucks, it really does. I hope you can find some support soon.

Sending lots of strength your way,

Rosie93

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance