Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

EdenAmaranth
Casual Contributor

Stigma from Employers?

I have Bipolar Affective Disorder with Psychosis. I was hospitalised for the second time last year and have managed to get myself to a relatively good place again. Despite being hospitalised I managed to finish my bachelor degree. I haven't worked since my hospitalisation but I have worked part time while studying since high school. So essentially I have an education, experience and skills BUT I have mental illness and aparently that is going to be a problem.

According to various staff at the Disability Employment Services (DES) provider I attend whose name I will not mention I have been told the following:

1. In your case you should probably tell employers you have mentall illness but don't tell them to much - personally I would rather give them more information so they can work with me, be supportive and create understanding

2. Some employers will think that you are dangerous and stupid because of your diagnoses - Don't even know what to say to this one but it made me upset to hear. I explained to the DES worker that I behave better than a lot of "normal" people even when very unwell and I have a degree so i'm obviously not an idiot

3. When your in an interview don't talk to fast or be to animated because they might think your unmedicated/unstable/manic - I have two housemates that talk way faster than me (even when i'm manic) and both of them don't have mental illness. I explained that this is just part of my personality - I get excited about things and would especially get excited about the propect of employment. So basically I have to pretend to not be myself so they give me a job? Stuff that.

This is advise from people who have worked with people who have disabilities and mental health issues for many years but honestly it's just made me feel frustrated and angry. I also feel that in my case the advise hasn't been helpful and I think that this would create barriers for some people and be damaging. Honestly if my prospective employers think the above I don't think I would want to work for them anyway but I'm sure there are employers out there that would value what I can bring to the table DESPITE my mental illness. My mental illness is a part of me but it doesn't define who I am.

What are people's thoughts on the advise I was given?

What advise have you been given in the past about employment? Did it stop you from pursuing your employment goals? (I hope not)

Has your diagnoses been a barrier to employment?

Have you experienced stigma from employers or work colleagues? 

Thank you 🙂

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Stigma from Employers?

Hi @EdenAmaranth

Thnaks for sharing your first post, and welcome to the Forums!

That's a real pity to hear about some of the advice that the DES workers have given you. It sounds like some of things they've said feeds into the negative, inaccurate stereotypes of mentail illness. Not very helpful. I can understand why you feel frustrated and annoyed.

There's a few members on here that have written about working with MI. @730 started these thread that might be of interest: Bipolar and Work, and Work and Discrimination. In this thread @kato, @Pixie, @Goodgutz @Troubled_One provide some great advice about working. Also @Former-Member started this thread about going back to work, and @rimemariner29 started this thread about living with schizoprhenia and work.  Does anyone else have any advice about @EdenAmaranth?

Hope to see more of you on the forums!

CB

Hi Eden Amaranth,

Welcome to the Forum. I am sure you will find great support here from people who have experienced similar negative comments.

Reading your post I see a very positive, motivated person who can overcome adversities and keep moving forward. Congratulations on finishing your bachelor degree. What a great achievement.It is a great strength of yours to be able to pick yourself up and get back into a relatively good space. It is important to keep doing things that are good for you.

I wish you all the best.

Mojo

Hi @EdenAmaranth

good to see you on the forums. my advice would be to listen to yourself as it is a good way of getting through the problem, you know yourself what is good for you and sounds like you are listening to yourself.

And ofcourse you will get good advice from other members here as i have as well.

take care. lee.

Yeah you would think as DES workers they would be more encouraging. If I didn't have to go see them as part of my contract with centrelink I wouldn't bother going. I know if I get a job it's going to me from my hard work, as they have barely lifted a finger. It's really disappointing I thought they would help.

This is part of why I am resigned to being on a disability pension.  I felt the same about my disability worker.  I knew I could do their job, I think they knew it too as they could see my resume. Some workers need us in that position so they can feel all the benefits of having a job themselves.  In a tight job market it is actually us against them. Now I am phiosophical about the whole work thing.

Note, I worked in 3 govt departments, was a company director for 8 years, and still run a part-time small business for 25 years. I am lucky in that I have some stability and security in owning my home, but I renovated for 12 years so it also took true grit.

I dont believe the excessive consumption I see around me is necessary or appropriate. I have never identified myself in how much I earn.  I am now just trying to live each day artistically and kindly.  I cant change the world, but I dont have to get into its rat race.  I just try and seek like-minded people and then when I find them ... Yippee ... my values and/or beliefs are not delusions.

I'm only 22 and fresh out of uni and I refuse to resign to being on disability but I can understand why some people do despite having the will, experience and education to work. I want to at least give it my best try.

I have honestly felt that I could do their job also. I probably am lacking on the experience side of things though.

I own nothing of real value so if I want any chance of owning my own home I need a job. It's already hard enough to buy a house these days.

I don't believe in excess either. I am responsible with the money I have but the bottom line is everything costs money. I don't care how much money I earn but living requires a certain amount of money.

What is right for one person may not be right for another.

At your age I think it is wonderful you dont resign yourself to pension, it is the sort of attitude that gets people moving.  Good on you.  When the going gets tough, the tough get going and dont just sit on armchairs.

I am battiing for you though your journey might end up looking different from mine.

Is your degree useful in itself or do you need to get some cert 3 or 4 to make you more employable?

I didnt realise study was meant for getting a job.. dumb me had not made all the links at a young age.  Now my son says we would have been richer if I had stayed in geology and gotten a job with a mining company .. but that is just a tease cos he hates those big guys and understands why I couldnt sell my soul.

Its horses for courses .. go for it girl.

Unfortunately I did Psychology which requires an extra 3 years uni to be registered and employable and it is really competitive to get into postgraduate courses. I'm going to see what I can do with just my bachelor but I may go back and do something postgrad at uni. It's tough out there.

The worst stigma seems to come from those who should know better, those in the healthcare sector is my lived experience. Some comments I hear are cutting now I am working there. I am so proud of my achievements, so proud of where I have come from after being so ill, but will never be enough in their eyes. I will never tell them MY STORY. Stigma is real, hasn't gone away, there is NO Recovery, it is a work in progress, dealing with ignorance everyday.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance