Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Shaz51
Community Guide

Re: Self-Care with major Physical illnesses

thank you for tagging me @Adge Heart

Hello @Wandererm @Former-Member, @greenpea, @Mazarita, @Faith-and-Hope

Thanks @Wanderer & @Mazarita

I appreciate your sharing, & found it helpful.

You had some good suggestions.

I have diarrhoea most days too Mazarita - due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, caused by disconnection of my bowels (for 6 months), & removal of part of it. That's been for the past 3 & 1/2 years, not all my life like you've had.

Thanks @greenpea & @Former-Member

For your kind thoughts & support.

Adge

Thanks @Faith-and-Hope

I will ask someone about digestive enzymes. A good idea, the Dr never mentioned that one.

Dr just said keep on doing what I'm doing - he couldn't suggest anything better.

Hi @Shaz51

My psychologist reckons eating fermented foods might help - Apple cider vinegar is fermented @Former-Member

Thanks.

Adge

Hi @Adge  Sorry I can't speak from my own experience as I've not had to live with chronic pain and multiple surgeries.  But it's good to see you getting support here.

I would like to tell you about my adult child - they have had abdominal pain most of their life and have ultimately been diagnosed with IBS after years of being told the pain was stress related.  They had to push and push and change GPs many times to find one who kept doing diagnostics until they found the problem.  And now have seen a dietician several times too.  They have been put on a 'low fodmap' diet (google it) and now rarely have the pain and other symptoms.  They are also avoiding lactose (in milk in particular but other foods also).  Wondering if trying these measures could be helpful for you?  You can get 5  'allied health' consultations which include dieticians with a 'chronic disease health care plan' which your GP can do for you.  Under medicare so there would be a good rebate or bulk billing to make it affordable.  Best wishes for some aleviation of your symptoms.

X

X

I will look into that for my D3 @eth ..... her chronic abdominal pain may not be stress alone, although it appears to be a significant catalyst.

Sophia1
Senior Contributor

Hello @Adge

Will try to respond tomorrow...

was on here too long this morning..

takes me forever to read back on posts and then I do not have time to respond..

take care

Hi @Adge

I feel for you with bowel issues.  I walked with my brother through some delicate times.  He tried juicing and everything under the sun.   I have been lucky. Part of it is due to poverty. We did not have lollies and I never had a sweet tooth and was very solidly into healthy food after I went to uni. Tho I do go overboard at times now.

Fermented foods are good for everybody.  I have the main things; yoghurt, sauerkraut, dill pickles and often drink very dilute apple cider vinegar.

I can relate to a chronic physical condition with my neck issues from late 20s.  Its now over 30 years and I am in a position to better manage it.  Just back from osteo today.  She saved my life, as she and gps in her clinic, knew I was for real.  I taught the gps' child for a while, small world and all that.  Been going there for 15 years.  It took me years to realise that her hyper niceness to me was a recognition of my the level of my physical pain.  It was her way of coping.  I can only imagine what being witness did to my poor son, but what coud i do.  

I am with you @Mazarita on the benefits of doctor google.  It does not replace good health care, but certainly an informed patient is always better, and doctors that are insecure and cannot respect client's active interest in their own health are problematic, IMO.

@Wanderer Long term pain is a tricky one and I had to deal with it.  As I had small children and was breast feeding I developed an early approach of no painkillers.  I worked with all the other pain management strategies I could.  It is why I do a lot practical music.  

The interactions between physical and mental health are varied but very relevant.

Smiley HappyHeartSmiley Happy

I phoned Hospital an hour ago - to enquire about my Referral for Hernia Surgery, & to ask why I have not received any letter from them - as promised via sms message 4 weeks ago.

The GP told me that the hernia is serious, & that it may require accident & emergency admission, if it is not seen to.

The hospital person said that not enough background information (or my bowel surgery reports) had been included in the Referral sent by my GP.

So the hospital has put me as low priority (Category 3) they said – in the absence of further supporting documentation from GP.

That would possibly mean a 12 month wait, before any letter was sent to me – or for any surgeon’s appointment (they said).

I was expecting a letter from them explaining this (no letter) – instead I’ve had to find out this information via telephone follow-up.

Adge

X

X

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance