Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Self-Care with major Physical illnesses

Thanks for looking in on me @Sophia1

A very Happy New Year to you too, & to everyone.

Adge

hello @eudemonism

I love the song "throw your arms around me" by hunters and collectors...brilliant song...

The others don't register ...no surprise with fog brain...probably know them just not by title or band names..

Will look into it...

Hope that you are getting to the beach with Mister still...I know that you both love those times...

💜

Yes happy new year to both yourself @Adge and @eudemonism as well as all others passing..

Lovely to hear from you both..💜

Yea @Sophia1 i ain't doing a great deal these days. Only what i have to. I figure alot of my issues throughout life till present have been related to the tbi...

Just being honest and not living in denial or building an ego to deal with my problems and suffering...

It's what I need to be talking with the psychiatrist and psychologist about... my thoughts, feelings and behaviours were all changed by that tbi... plus, i was dealing with an assortment of cognitive issues... plus, i was trying to build an ego to compensate for everything... plus, i was running the gauntlet of life... they say tbi is an invisible disability and one of the worst disabilities someone can have...

At least I'm acknowledging it and know what I'm dealing with now...

I'm willing & happy to do a Managing Emotional Distress (DBT) group - somewhat as a matter of urgency.

Yet I've only been told about (or referred) to public MH groups - that I cannot meet the criteria for, with waitlists of about 12 months.

My brother said just now: Dealing with such a long waiting list & rigorous selection criteria (for DBT or other MH Groups) – would badly adversely impact on anyone’s mental health, & would make it much worse (especially as I am already impacted).

My brother does not see how anyone can deal with such a system - I agree.

I need other options, if anyone can refer me to them – immediately (or soon) available.

This has been very bad news. I am virtually bursting into tears right now, as all the doors seem closed.

I've tried so very hard to access MH services, to cooperate with help, & to get things right - nothing has been going right at all.

Adge

Thanks @Hope4me

The Self care with major physical illness thread (I started) is the one I use the most.

This MH tail-spin (down-hill) all started with physical injury, about 6 weeks ago.

The pain was excruciating, I couldn't sleep through any night (for weeks) - that's what brought about the downward tail-spin (spiral).

Adge

Sigh... @Adge

I'm seriously gobsmacked reading the first page of this thread. How dreadfully sorry I am you've been put through this.

Chronic pain management is surely the hard basket hun let alone cptsd as well. Whew...I'm lost for words.

What's impacting you the most tonight?

Heart

Sorry @Adge

I've just had to go over your post again to get my barings. Please be patient with me ok.

As you've said, without quality sleep our MH deteriorates and makes our lives unbarable. I'm wondering if DBT's the most effective management tool for you as its success rate could be better.

I made it my lot in life to undo damage from a history of abuse inch by inch if I had to; and I have. It's taken me 4 years since my horrible breakdown, virtually full-time to recreate myself. I did have/still have pain to deal with, but nothing like what you've spoken of.

The point you raise about waiting lists is a sad reality I'm afraid. If it was me, and I say this tentitively, I'd try to create my own group. If you leave your name with the relevant authorities, they may give your contact details to others in the same boat.

I know this is hard slog, especially when decision making can be plagued with problems, but I can't think of other options at the moment apart from travelling to another area.

Is this what you're getting at? Sorry if I'm off the mark Adge.

I do want to help if I can.

Hope

Thanks so much @Hope4me I really appreciate your kind thought & support.

So many things have happened over the past few weeks, that I would not know where to even start (to describe it).

There was a massive cascade effect, one event after another  - it never seemed to stop piling up (overwhelming).

The ambulance was called out 4 times in about 4 weeks, by people who were over-concerned (on all but one occasion) - leaving me much worse-off.

Having lost even more sleep, never being actually admitted to hospital (just waiting in A&E for 5 to 10 hours), not receiving any treatment or any relevant scans - then being sent home.

I had $4000 in ambulance bills (4 call-outs), in the past few weeks - that's more than enough (on its own) to stress anyone out...

Adge

Yes @Hope4me I think that is what I was getting at.

You're not off the mark at all, you're pretty close (almost spot-on).

Severe chronic shoulder pain from Bursitis & nerve inflammation - is exactly what brought about this rapid MH deterioration (strain).

Adge

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance