Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Chloekat
Contributor

Saw my psychiatrist today for the first time!

Well as some of you know i was getting nervous about goingto my first psychiatrist appointment today. It didnt end up being all that bad just a lot of talking about my life and my past etc and filling out forms as well. Turns out i have borderline personality disorder and dysthymia which is a type of depression. It was my only vist to the psych as the notes are now sent to my doc and he can help me deal with it now with mood stabilizers etc as well as other treatment. I dont need to go back to the psych as she only needed to diagnose me. im feeling more positive now i know what im dealing with and have more control over what im dealing with. Hope you are all doing well x

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Saw my psychiatrist today for the first time!

Well done Chloekat...it takes a lot of nerve and courage to see a psychiatrist and a lot of trust to work with one..and being able to work with your usual GP is fantastic as you probably already have a good work relationship with your GP😄😄😄

yeh i feel pretty good about the acheivement today 🙂

Sounds good, Chloekat. Hopefully your GP will give you a referral to a good psychologist who can help too.

Hi Chloekat,

For me it was like a *slaps forehead* moment when I got a diagnosis.  It made me feel empowered.  I had a name for this horrid state and that made it just a little less scary, a little more controllable.

I have a good headshrinker now, and if you decide to find yourself one remember that they are a good resource person who is there to work with you.  And if you're not happy with them thats ok, you get to choose who you open up to.  The right shrink for your needs could be someone else just nearby.

Oh, and they don't have to a psychiatrist.  They just have to be capable and kind.

im seeing a mentl health clinician which is like a psychologist and also keeping in contact with my GP to sort out my medication etc now we know whats wrong with me.

Thats great advice Bat. I feel a little better but still have some bad days. My GP is now taking over on my case so he will look after after me and my meds and anything else from now on

Woman Very Happy Good on you kat!  Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes (W Churchhill)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance