Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Therese7
Casual Contributor

Response to medications

I am hoping to hear from other forum members that have experience with multiple medications. I am now on my third medication for depression and anxiety after unsatisfactory responses from the first 2. I hope that this new one will work, but I need to be patient and wait. It frightens me to think it won’t work 😞

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Response to medications

Hi @Therese7 

It's really crappy that it can take so long to find out what meds work for us and what don't. They take time to work and then they might not even work. So you have to taper down to nothing before going onto the next. I'm really hoping for you that this one works. I was fortunate that the first I tried worked. But then after a year or so it seemed to stop. So I had to change. This has happened to me a few times. I'm good now. I have anxiety medication that seems to work - for now! Wish it was easier but please know we are here for you.

Hanami

Hi @Therese7,

I understand your concern and fear around changing medications for anxiety and depression. When I was younger I had to change a few times myself (which was no fun because first I had to be weaned off under GP supervision and then progressively start on a new one) but I did eventually find one that worked for me. I know it can be a bit frightening and frustrating but going off my own experience there is a medication that will work for you. I really hope that third time is a charm.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

Thank you for your reply and sharing your experience

Thank you for your support

Biochemistry is weird. Everyone reacts to them differently which means your care team will have to take an informed guess on what to try. For people who are sensitive to side effects etc like myself that makes it a far more complex and time consuming task, most people get a working solution by medication 3 or 4, sometimes with a combination of two of the ones tried, it took about 15 tries to find the first thing that worked for me and another 8 to get an anxiety medication. 

I understand that it can be discouraging and overwhelming to try multiple medications for depression and anxiety without finding the right one, but it's important to remember that everyone's experience with medication is unique. It can take time to find the right medication and dosage, and it's important to be patient and work with your doctor to find what works best for you.

It's also important to remember that medication is just one of many treatment options for depression and anxiety. It's important to have a comprehensive treatment plan that may also include additional therapy, lifestyle changes, and self-relaxation practices like Reiki, Meditation, Shirodhara etc. Don't be afraid to discuss all your options with your doctor and consider adding additional therapies to your treatment plan.

Remember that it's okay to feel scared, and it's okay to ask for help. You're not alone in your journey, and there are people and resources available to support you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance