Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Alice88
New Contributor

Really struggling

Since covid, which concidentally turned out to happen a few weeks after I moved states, I have slowly gone downhill mentally in many ways (and physically by way of putting on a huge amount of weight).  When I moved I planned to join a number of new groups of interest and start a new life.  Because of covid this didn't happen as everything was cancelled and I was left for 18 months alone without any friends at all other than ones I have always had but who were now remote.  People including family who had planned to visit weren't able to and nor was I able to travel because of restrictions.  I go through long periods where I feel very lost and desperate.  I have a couple of very superficial acquaintances now but that doesn't really help much.  I think I'm now too far gone for that.  Psychologists are all too young and/or inexperienced and anyway there are many more younger people who need them. Sorry just a bit of a first time rant.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Really struggling

Hi @Alice88 Thank you for being here and for reaching out. It takes a lot of bravery and I hope you will find support here. Travel restrictions have been so hard haven't they. You are not alone in this. 

Sometimes it takes a while to find the right fit with a psychologist. Is there a way you can trial a few different ones and maybe find someone who is more in line with your life stage and experiences? Please also feel free to contact the SANE support services as we have lot of different counsellors with a broad range of experiences. 

Paperdaisy💝

Hello @Alice88 and welcome. I'm glad you've found us. There must be so many people feeling lost and alone and just starting to re-emerge after the lockdowns... I am too. It sounds as though you had big plans and hopes when you moved, but sometimes it's hard to tell if we're escaping something or embarking on a bold new adventure.  Did you have any particular new groups or communities in mind? Are they reopening now? I hope you're finding work congenial if you're working. 

I've had a couple of psychologists now who were recommended by my gps at the time - they were local people and proved quite sympathetic and supportive. However I first had to find a gp I felt comfortable with and trusted. 

@Alice88 I hope you find friendship and support on these forums You can tag particular members so they're notified of your posts by using @ before their user name. There are social threads and interest groups - it would be worth browsing the site to see what interests you, and other members may come by and tag you into discussions. 

Best wishes

Dimity

Hi @Alice88 

Firstly welcome to the Sane Forums. I hope you find the support you are looking for here.

Hoping too that your day is being kind to you

💜💜

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yep I'm hearing you @Alice88! I hope this ridiculous pandemic ends soon, but now I'm not thinking so much. My mental has taken a nose-dive too. Hopefully a psychiatrist will help me. I do agree with psychologistst having not enough experience to deal with older people during this pandemic. I don't think all psychs are superficial or inexperienced though, it just takes forever to find the right one. I think you'll find the same issue across all types of professions these days. I hope you keep riding this out with us on the forums, we can support each other through the tough times. Coffee and chocolate always helps haha lol!
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Paperdaisy and @Alice88 the SANE counselling services are really good! I've tried them and recommend them to everybody.

That's really great to hear @Former-Member I'm glad you've had success with the SANE counselling services😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance