Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Question

Hi all, I hope this is alright to post in this thread otherwise feel free to move it.

I hope this isn't a weird question. But I saw a new GP yesterday, and she asked me what keeps me here, and I mentioned my parents and my Dog, and music, stuff like that.

She also said that since i was telling her about my Psychiatrist and how good he is, that he could miss me too if I did something (you know), and he'd feel like he failed me.

That's been on my mind a lot ever since. Do you think that it's true? I have a good patient therapist relationship with him I think.

Sorry if it's weird, I mean it in a therapist way not the other way.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Question

Hi @Former-Member.

I've been working with my psychologist for eight years and we have a really solid therapeutic relationship. The strength of that is a protective factor for me. While I don't think he would feel like he'd failed me if I ended my life (as he knows that it is ultimately my choice), I imagine he wouldn't feel great if I did. He might question some things about our work together and may have moments where he remembered me.

It's good to hear your GP was interested in understanding what keeps you here. Sometimes we can forget what it is that helps us keep on keeping on (I can anyway). Having a strong relationship with health professionals can be very protective and acknowledging that can help add to the fight to keep going.

Not sure if that really answers your question though. How would you feel about bringing it up with your psychiatrist and asking him directly?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Question

Thanks for your reply @CheerBear and yeah I get what you mean.

That's good that you also have a good relationship with yours, it definitely helps. I've had bad experiences with so called "professionals" and to find someone who actually cares is wow, just a godsend if you will.

I want to ask him that and some other questions such as is it alright if I see him more than once a month (he knows I only have this new GP and him, him mostly) but I don't want to make him uncomfortable and sound pushy and demanding, that could also be my anxiety and paranoia talking though.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance