Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

itsRay
Contributor

Problem getting a diagnosis for memory loss

Hi all
My problem is getting a diagnosis I'm on my 3rd doctor, the first doctor was good and confirmed a problem but we lost our business and needed to move to a new location.
Two years later the second doctor virtually threw me out of the surgery with the words
"You have nothing wrong with you if you don't believe me go and see another doctor"
Now it's four years later I'm on my 3rd, I went in a few days ago to find out what the next step was going to be as I had a CT Scan done.
I was informed that my doctor had reviewed the scan report and my file was marked Take no action.
As I left the surgery I had panic attack and had taking a long walk off a short pier thoughts for a while.

Trying to get a diagnosis is torcher as doctors really don't give a damn. I can't face another doctor I'll let it go for now as I don't know what to do next and Its giving me a headache that won't go away.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Problem getting a diagnosis for memory loss

Hi @itsRay

Welcome to the Forums.

I'm sorry you've had such a bad run of doctors. It must be really tiring and I can see it's very frustrating.

Just to get some more information - you mentioned having an anxiety attack - are you getting assistance for this or mentioned it to the Dr too?

Welcome again 🙂

anxiety attack - are you getting assistance for this or mentioned it to the Dr too?

No its never been a problem before

I think I will deal with a few problems with kids first and then try another doctor

Maybe I should try a softer approach like start with an upset tummy and work up to memory loss after a few visits Smiley Happy just kidding 

But with the information from the first doctor I saw sent to the latest doctor that alone should be enough for a referral.

I just don't get it 😕

Hi @itsRay

How are you going today? Sorry to hear that you're havng some difficuties with drs... its funny what they seem to see as important sometimes... 

What symptoms of memory loss do you have? I was recently diagnosed with dissociative amnesia... still not really sure how/what it is really but hopefully will be seeing my psychiatrist soonish again and i have a list of stuff written down to ask!

I have two kids, one with special needs, most drs seem to be much more on top of things with kids... though from time to time i've still had to try and step up and say no you can dobetter than that!

LJ

The worst symptoms that have happened but not often are forgetting what town or state I'm in or the meaning of words but usually just short term memory.

From my own research it sounds like MCI ( mild cognitive impairment ) and moving onto young onset dementia most probably a familial dementia of sorts from my mothers side of the family or it could be as simple as a infection in the brain I would probably need a lumbar puncture to test for that Man Frustrated

But not one doctor so far has even considered family history I keep telling them but they ignore it and change the subject disregarding it completely it must be hard to test for.

It all seemed so simple in the movie Still Alice have a memory laps get diagnosed get tested for the gene and your done.

Another symptom is posting in forums takes hours 

i have had really frightening panic attacks where i have forgotten where I am and for a few minutes nothing at all arond me has looked familiar and not known where i was. But thankfully not often... I also have huge concentration issues when my depression is really bad, so i can relate (though im not suggesting the cause of your symptoms is the same as mine). Fingers crossed at some stage you can get some help and answers.

LJ

Hi @itsRay 

As you probably already know,many doctors lack awareness regarding early onset dementia and also regarding mild cognitive impairment.

They are still in disbelief that younger patients can have dementia.

Perhaps you could see a Neuropychiatrist and request a PET scan?

PET scan can often show information, when CT scans and MRIs have been found to show no abnormality.

Neuropsychiatrist are rare but they often know more about young onset dementia than many psychiatrists and neurologists (and G.p's).

I would make recommendations, but Sane forum rules do not allow it and it would be removed.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance