Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Dbp
New Contributor

Overwhelming workload gets me down

I have major depression and various forms of anxiety  I have worked at an organisation for 18 months and I have an unreasonable workload. Today I was advised my workload would increase and there is no limit to the level of work I will be given, even though I am part-time. Although I raised concerns, they were dismissed. These circumstances exacerbate my conditions, which are known to my employer. I have been looking for other jobs, but there are family commitments and geographical limits. Anyone else experienced unreasonable workloads and no helpful action from management to address this?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Overwhelming workload gets me down

Hi @Dbp and welcome to the forum. 

I dont have much/any experience with what you're dealing with but I can imagine how hard it would be to try and work through it. It really sucks that your employer was dismissive and extra sucks that they did that knowing your situation.

Hoping others with experience here come by but in the meantime you might like to check out some existing discussions on employment and mental health like this one Topic Tuesday // Navigating work life and mental health // Tues 17 Sep, 7pm AEST . You can also use the search function which should bring up a few results.

Thinking of you Dbp

Re: Overwhelming workload gets me down

Oh I completely know where you are coming from @Dbp   I am experiencing the same thing at work (with the same response from management) and also experience the same symptoms as yourself, which are not helped by problems at work.

Staff have been cut back over the past 18 months or so and we are still expected to get the same amount of work done.   My shifts are either 9 hours or 3 and a half hours long and in the short shift I am expected to get 9 hours work done......as if that is possible......and to make things worse you are constantly told all the bad things you are doing and no encouragement or even a good job muttered.   I get home most shifts physically and mentally exhausted and usually vomit from feeling so stressed out for hours.......

I am trying to get another job but jobs are scarce here....I am casual at the moment and want either part or full time work for extra job security etc.....but they are few and far between where I am.

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but sadly I do not........it is really frustrating when money becomes more important than our mental and physical health...........I am sick of being ruled by money...............

I wish you all the best in your endeavour in seeking other employment and I hope you can cope in the mean time.......

Blessings to you and welcome to the forum........

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance