Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Handouch
Casual Contributor

Ongoing battle

It has been quite some time since I’ve been to see someone to  assist with my mental health challenges. Since the age of 12 (2003); I have experienced from what I’ve been told “General anxiety” & then at the end of 2013 a significant breakdown being diagnosed with manic depressive disorder & generalised anxiety disorder resulting in being unfit to work for a period of 3 months

After being prescribed with an SNRI antidepressant and from (my very vague) memory; some stabilisers for a short period of time, this did allow me to return back to my day-to-day life.

I do recall the psych mentioning that I will still continue to have my “good and bad” days although after now 6 years of these ups and downs; with periods where it is really affecting my work and personal relationships and general overall enjoyment of life, I would like to focus on being more proactive in getting further answers and information to better treat and manage this as I feel it is developing further.

I have also recently started a new relationship with an amazing man who is extremely patient and supportive of my down periods, but having never had anyone that could really support me, I am finding myself withdrawing and distancing myself in fear of him getting fed up with me. Has anyone worked out a so called “anxiety crisis plan” on steps to take so the partner is feeling as helpless? Being so foggy in the head myself I’m finding it really challenging working this out

After speaking further with my GP about my recent symptoms; he has suggested that I seek clarification from a Clinical Psychologist/Psychiatrist on my definite diagnosis. He said he could not comment exactly on this as he is not certified however was concerned about my mood swings and manic periods which sometimes can be diagnosed as bipolar but confused with anxiety symptoms.

In hope of gaining a better understanding; I have ordered a DNA PGx test to be completed which provides information on how my body responds to medications prescribed for mental health by testing my genetics.

Bottom line is; I am desperate to find a confirmation of my diagnosis and whether the anti-depressant that I am on is the best thing for me.  

This is more of a rant and trying to piece my thoughts together, but if anyone has had any experience with any of the above I would really appreciate any insight!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Ongoing battle

Hi @Handouch  and welcome to the forums.  I understand the feeling of wanting to have diagnosis confirmed and wanting to know if the meds are really right for you.  If you can, I strongly recommend seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist.  The psychiatrist is really the one that can re-assess your diagnosis and meds that are suitable, the psychologist will potentially help with learning to live and manage with your diagnosis.  I was confronted at first when bipolar 1 was eventually diagnosed, but it meant I could research and also learn to self-manage better (including work, relationships, strategies to recognise and deal with triggers, etc).  For many years before that I was tried on many anti-depressants and it turned out that I'm one of the people with bipolar who is triggered into mania by them.  There is so much that I could say here but I don't want to bombard you!

I have a thing called a Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) that you might like to google, and I also keep daily charts that help me see what is happening with mood swings and sleep and meds taken and I can see from them when things are changing one way or another and put my strategies into action.

Hope some of this is helpful to you.  Cheers, @eth 

thank you so much for your response, I have since contacted my original psychiatrist and booked in an appointment to go and see him in a week which has certainly given me a bit of hope! 
don't feel like you're bombarding me; any distraction from these constant depressive thoughts are very welcome!

I will definitely look up that WRAP you mentioned and will start to monitor my moods in a journal to prepare for my session with the psychiatrist 

thank you again, will keep you posted on the outcome 

Hi @Handouch  you can get mood charts online if you want to.  Mine looks like this :

Image result for mood charts for bipolar

http://www.bipolar-lives.com/bipolar-mood-chart.html

Hi
Sorry for the delay ! Has been a pretty intense week for me....
I went and saw my psychiatrist who initially treated and diagnosed me back in 2013 when I was 23 years old after having experiencing my first major depressive episode resulting in being "unfit" to work for 6 months.
Seeing him this time around; I have been given a new diagnosis and feeling pretty overwhelmed with all the information I have been given… (am going to bullet point to try and summarise as I’m feeling pretty dazed)
- Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder Type 2 – I have spent the last 6 years on an antidepressant (as well as a lot of different tries of other SSRIs/SNRIs prior to my 2013 depressive episode) thinking my diagnosis was Agitated Depressive Disorder & Major Anxiety however after telling my psych of the many waves of ups and downs I have experienced through my 20s; he feels this is now the right diagnosis.
- As my psychiatrist is located 2 hours away he has recommended I find someone closer to me (I’m located on Northern Beaches, Sydney) to supervise and assist me in commencing a new anti-epileptic drug to treat my “highs” as well as looking into DBT Therapy (dialectical behaviour therapy).
- I have been given a small dosage of an anti-psychotic drug to try and alleviate my mood swings in the meantime whilst I get to my GP to obtain a referral to a new local psychiatrist that can help me with the above.
Currently sitting here at work at 4.00pm still feeling dazed from these meds. Feeling extremely anxious and fearful not feeling that I have any control of myself or my reactions to external. The whole idea of having a new treatment plan is overwhelming me, especially now I am in a new relationship with my dream man. He has been so so supportive through all of this however really finding it hard to allow his support as I’m fearful he will get over it and leave.
So to summarise; I am spending my days wishing for them to be over; trying to repress all of these horrible thoughts yet on the surface am projecting myself as just “a little tired”… my industry of work (property management) does not allow for emotion or weakness..
Am losing hope so any advice or anyone that has been through this diagnosis; I would really love to hear from you

Hi @Handouch, I'm sorry to hear you're having a pretty rough day. You sound quite down so I might send you a quick email now just to check in. Take care, 3Jewels.

Hi @Handouch, I'm sorry to hear you're having a pretty rough day. You sound quite down so I might send you a quick email now just to check in. Take care, 3Jewels.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance