Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

OCD

Hi so idk if anyone on here has OCD but mine has been getting a lot worse over the last week or 2 and i am not really sure what to do it is pretty much constant when i am alone and takes up a lot of time physically and mentally and i am not sure how to get it under control again. meds are a big no and the last time the only reason it wasnt as bad was partly becuase of a huge manic episode where i felt invincible and partly because i didnt care if something bad happened but now i cant really use the second one as a reason to ignore it and i really dont know what to do..... so if anyone has any ideas or things that worked for them please share Smiley Sad

4 REPLIES 4
Ali11
Community Builder

Re: OCD

We're sorry to hear that your OCD is on the increase @Eden1919, have you been able to chat to someone about it? You don't necessarily need to go on meds, but there may be other treatment options that might be available for you.  

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

@Ali11  I have literally nobody i can talk to about this i am still waiting for a psychologist it has been 7 months of waiting and i am fed up. also i have tried things other than meds as well and no luck so far. sorry if i sound snappy it is not directed at you i am just tired and annoyed. 

Ali11
Community Builder

We get it @Eden1919, it must be really frustrating for you, especially with that long wait, so definitely not taking anything personally. Sending love Heart 

Eevee
New Contributor

Hey @Eden1919 , I also have OCD and mine started getting a lot worse last year. I've been in Exposure Response and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for around 6 months and it has really helped me. If you can't get to a Psychologist just yet, then I'd suggest doing some research on Exposure Response and CBT so you can try it in small doses at home where you're comfortable. If you can scale what is the easiest and hardest fears to face, then you can start small so you don't overwhelm yourself as that just reinforces the fears.

My main obsession is contamination so I started by touching something I considered easier/cleaner; the wall behind a door. Then I set a goal to wait 5mins without washing my hands and during that time distract myself as best as possible to make the thoughts quieter (hobbies are really good, music, pets, talking to someone about something random, whatever works for you). Then I set a limit on the amount of times I could wash my hands (started with 5). As for panic/anxiety attacks, I did a therapy session on inducing them and then bringing myself back down before having a full blown panic attack and since then I've been able to bring them all back down before they're past the point of control. If you find yourself having an anxiety attack, try picturing or finding a square to focus on and breathe in for 4 seconds along the top of the square, hold it for 4 seconds along the side, breathe out for 4 seconds along the bottom and hold it for 4 seconds along the next side (I do this with my eyes closed to zone absolutely everything out but my breathing which helps me). Keep doing this until your breathing has slowed down and then distract yourself with whatever works best for you.

I'm new here so sorry for the late response, I hope some of these strategies help you like they help me, and keep trying to get to therapy if you can because it has personally taught me so much about my OCD, I learn something new each session that I'm able to continue putting into practice at home. Stay positive, I never thought my OCD could get better, but it can! c: ♡

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance