Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

raindrops
New Contributor

New here. Have multiple learning disabilities and mental issues on top with no help despite seeking it for almost a decade

hello,

I have multiple learning disabilities - Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, ADHD and possibly Autism. I cannot afford the cost for an assement. Costs for an assessment range from $800-2000 in Australia where I am currently based. It was only a few yaers ago that I even knew I had learning disabilities. I had them as a kid but since I had no help then and basiclly grew up on my own while my parents ran around and did their own thing I didn't have the support to get the help I needed. And as I get older the worse the LDs become worse and as with many LDs there are assocated mental health issues such as depression, bi polar etc.

I've seen multiple GPs, counsellors, many many psychologists and some Psychiatrists and all I get are blank stares back, knodding heads and blank stares back. I clearly have some issues I need to deal with but cannot access the help. 

Everyday gets worse and getting up and just doing the rounds of what I am mean to do on a day to day basis are a struggle. 

Anyone based in Australia and have found help? I am based in Melbounre and the help is so limited. I might as well live in a one horse town. It would probally be better for my mental health. I called the Black Dog Institue in Sydney and WOW they were willing to help me - all I need to do is get to Sydney however being unemployed (and over quialifed) for over 2 and a half years it makes it harder to get the help as I don't have money to do so. I have even called 'lifeline' who gave me wrong numbers and refereals and actully I knew all this info anyways. I also called "beyond Blue" and they were pretty much the same. I was hung up on multiple times by Lifeline and BB. No one seems to be competent in this field. 

I think I have bi polar and could have other things. The issue I am having is just getting a diagnosis. I just need that to start with. 

It doesn't help having LDs and not being able to fully communicate my issues. This adds an additional layer of difficultly. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: New here. Have multiple learning disabilities and mental issues on top with no help despite seeking it for almost a decade

Hi there, welcome to the forums, sorry to hear that you havent found the help you are looking for. I was wondering if you've had a referral from your GP to a community mental health psychiatrist at all? if you really want a diagnosis from your symptoms of mental illness that would be a good place to start. your GP should be able to give you a refferral... my psychiatrist bulk bills through our local community mental health centre (though we are country based so I 'see' him via telemed conferencing).

LJ

Re: New here. Have multiple learning disabilities and mental issues on top with no help despite seeking it for almost a decade

Sounds all too familiar to me and just think how much money has been made by those professionals for effectively doing nothing.

The insurance and medical systems are for making money not providing a service we need a feedback system even if it is only for bulk billed services and do it through MyGov or something.

you might have an autism group in your state that could advise you, that price seems quite expensive.  i did a test a few years ago and it was about $120.  there may be some concessions.  i went undiagnosed for years, should have been picked up by centrelink and some other psychs when i went for anxiety.

i'd probably look for a better dr, you might be able to get a mental health worker/mental health nurse or some kind of disability advocate to go in to bat for you, this kind of stuff is confusing to deal with if you have issues.

So said you saw a Psychiatrist and they didn't give you a diagnosis?  That's unusual. 

What sort of testing are you referring to?

Is it Neuropsychological testing because if so I know that some hospitals in Sydney do this bulk billed but I don't know the situation in Victoria.

Regarding the ignorance of doctors-the ignorance situation is the same in Sydney.

Ie: most Psychiatrists know about Schizophrenia,Depression,Anxiety and Bipolar disorder but are clueless and undertrained when they come across "unusual presentations" that often involve Autism,and memory loss etc or where people have a combination of physical disorders/symptoms and Psychiatric based ones.

At the same time,Neurologist often don't want to treat thse patients either and discrimate against them.

Would you mind saying in which way the learning disorder manifests?

Eg: is it memory issues or aphasia etc?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance