Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Dashee
Casual Contributor

NDIS and Mind

How long has people with the NDIS that was in the PHaMs programme being waiting to re engage with Mind outreach support it has been 4 months, and in those 4 Months I have had no mental health support, they are telling me they don't have enough staff and so I am on a wait list for a worker.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: NDIS and Mind

@eth @Queenie maybe you guys can help in this department?

I've just been exited from PHaMS services and the service I was with (it wasn't Mind) admittedly didn't know how future PHaMS services would be delivered under the NDIS as there are huge changes to how it formerly was delivered.

Having said that, when I was accepted into the old Personal Helpers and Mentors Scheme system, I was told there'd be a bit of a wait. That wait took 6 months and only just got the ball rolling because I put in a complaint and used an advocate as backup. This was in a metropolitan area, so while they had a lot of staff, they also catered to a large client base too.

If you haven't been placed into the program by the 6 month mark, I would definitely follow up and be asking questions as to why. Most participants only access the program for 6 months to a year, so to wait longer than 6 months I would think be excessive.

I know it must be frustrating having to wait without support until then. Does Mind offer any drop in programs or short workshops you could be referred to until a place becomes available in the PHaMS program, so you aren't without support? I know a lot of mental health organisations do offer drop in services where you can come and go, not sure if Mind does this though?

I havent' met you before so Hi @Dashee  I've only just got my NDIS plan through and it's not active yet.  I've been with PHaMs through New Horizons (NH), not Mind.  Sorry but I know nothing about Mind.  Today may well be my last session with my support worker from NH  PHaMs and since they knew I was accepted by NDIS they have done nothing to inform me what would happen once I was funded by NDIS.  But I do know that PHaMs funding would cease the day my plan is activated.  They actually said they would only talk to me about it after they knew what was in my plan.  It's up to me who I show the plan to and I've decided to only show it to co-ordinator of supports and plan manager once I start with them, not to the support workers or their organisation.  They seem to be wanting to know my budget before they see how much they can get from it .... rorting in my opinion.

If I was in your situation I'd be looking for another organisation to provide support.  Or check out HireUp to find support workers that aren't attached to any organisation.  You do a profile and then you can access profiles of all their registered providers and choose someone who suits your needs and lifestyle.

Also there should be information about how to do a complaint and how to terminate your service agreement available when you first got your PHaMs allocated and any time you enter a new service agreement.  
I would also suggest getting a Disability Advocate (google them in your state) - they are free and can help you negotiate with the NDIS to get your new services to kick in.  

Do you have funding in your NDIS plan for a co-ordinator of supports?  They would be the person best positioned to help you sort this out.  

If you have a plan manager they should help you with this, and if you are 'agency managed' (i.e. by NDIS) they should help you. 

As someone said 'it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil' .... make some noise if you can!  One person I know of phones the NDIS once a week and is now making some progress with them.  There are complaint procedures with them and also 'review of a reviewable decision' process to trigger an internal review of what you are funded for.

Hoping some of this has been helpful.  I started a thread called 'Anyone Started with the NDIS' that contains my and others' journeys through the NDIS minefield - maybe if you post your question there too you might get more responses.  Tagging @greenpea here too in case she can help.  She's had NDIS longer than me.

@Dashee Hi Dashee and thank you eth for tagging me. I am sorry I am just not in the right frame of mind to discuss much atm. Maybe you can leave it with me and I will have a think about it it and get back to you if my mind allows me too. Sorry I cannot be of much help. greenpea

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop by with a note to just remind everyone, that when talking about another organisation to please be considered. Understandably, there can be many frustrations in in the processes of the mental health and NDIS system but it is important to remember that while some people may have one kind of experience with a specific organisation, others may have a completely different and valuable experience. 

It is great to see information being shared from personal perspective and balanced advice given here. Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance