Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Time
Senior Contributor

My son

I have a question.  My son has been diagnosed with Negative Schozophrenia, approx 2yrs ago.  He is on the depot injection.  He appears somewhat relaxed and stable however the side effects are concerning in fact sad.  My son was trim and slim 2yrs ago now he looks like he is 6mths pregnant.  He never liked sugary drinks much now he craves for them as well as fatty fried foods?  My son took a great deal of pride in his hygiene now he neglects it badly in fact he will shower 1 or 2 per yr I could count the showers he has has if I didnt nag he would not shower.  His communication is sometimes good but overall 1 word answers and doesnt initiate communication.  I am worried as I think medication should in this day and age be making someone happier and healthier not causing more problems.  What do I do.  I want to take him off this injection as Ive recently asked of a review and im getting to the stage whereby I feel guilty allowing him to go down this 

15 REPLIES 15
Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Re: Apply to become a Community Guide on the SANE Forums ?

Can he be put into contact with a mental health OT, with your concerns? Negative effects of schizophrenia aren't easily treated with medication.
greenpea
Senior Contributor

@Time  Hi Time it is the type of medications that your son is on that is causing these side effects unfortunately. Dont know what to say as I have a son2 with the same problems. xxx

Hi Greenpea, I dont think it is appropriate to allow people to have this kind of medication nowing it has or can lead to very serious side effects.  I am feeling so strong about these thoughts that I need to start to stand up for my son and or encourage him to do so assertively.  I know in Califorinia USA they are having trials with experimental illict drugs which have proven to given permanet relief to people who suffer with PTS and anxiety and other illnesses.  I do not know why our Govt lags behind and giving our family members drugs that are and can be very harmful for example diabetes stroke heart attack are resulting from these medication.  I think NOT I also think NO MORE.

Sorry ranting but im full of anger 

not at you at the system.  ITS our families these drugs they give our children our wifes our husbands are bad they are not helpful they dull the brain they block our family this is how I see it and I cannot help it. 
TIME

My son

Hi Gwynn I was unaware of OTs in mental health but ill check that thanks.  He has negative schezopherina which is the worse sort.  I would sitll like another opinion and will get one for him.  He was smoking heaps of canabisis after not dealing with some truama in his life.  He regressed and isolated for yrs.  I think counselling visiting a phsycologist and keeping busy and lots of other life healing options are available in this world I'm just not into medicating people until the people themselves seem lost and alone this tears at my soul my whole being it breaks me

Time 

@Time  I agree with you wholeheartedly. My son2 suffers so much as even with this medication his schizophrenia symptoms are still with him.  We have been given one extra choice re meds with him which will require him to have a blood test once a month .... no way. He couldnt cope with that.  So we are stuck with the meds he is currently on which make him super tired and give him a belly..... so unfair. xx

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Re: My son

You might also want to ask about if he can be linked with the hospitals exercise physiologist as vigorous exercise is generally considered to be good for trauma. What does your son want?
Time
Senior Contributor

My son acts and sounds well apart from a slightly concerned look at times. I feel for him he appears trapped. He will be seeing a physio therapist for exercise and a hypnosis for trauma and hopefully to stop cravings. Then with review planned either to cut his medication in half or try another or to give it all away and go the holistic pathway I will encourage the later. I will walk every inch every mile with him I will be there I’m love for him is greater than any words
Gwynn
Senior Contributor

My understanding is that gradual tapering off of medication is associated with better results than giving it all away at once. Also, medication + therapies + community support is better than going without medication, at least in the early years.

Have you run your plan by your son's GP? They might be able to help you advocate for your son to change his meds.
Time
Senior Contributor

Hi Gwyn

yes think meds need change or another option no meds just talking to a psychologist and being involved in community would be a healthy start.  He is in charge of his life choices I will support and encourage his decisions as long as I think they have merit and I think are good for him.  If he had no choices then I would encourage choice for him.  He is smart intelligent and kind and gentle he is a beautiful human being.   He knows what he wants if there is a plan and a pathway we will together find it.  I'm over medicating our loved ones and watching them dumb done with blank looks and you sense a I need your kindness look. Thank you for your advice but 2yrs with ups and downs and doing one thing fixing one and creating more issues enough.  Medical professionals need to get it right or go back to the drawing board that's what I think.  I'm not a fan of so called people that all they want to do is drugs without looking at the overall picture can't have one without the other!!!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance