Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lilyq
Senior Contributor

Moving house

So this week I moved house over Easter, it's been tough moving with low motivation. I also have 2 little kids so I had to move their stuff too. I have now gotten to the point where I have no motivation to do any moving.

Lucky my husband is able to help now and take over. The move is so we can be closer to my daughters school and live in a better neighbourhood. I have no motivation to clean, put away washing, I thought this would change in the new house but unfortunately it's stayed the same, how does anyone stay motivated to keep going when you have repetitive negative thoughts and depression? I see a psychiatrist for my schizoaffective disorder and take medication but I am so lucklusture about life.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Moving house

Hi @Lilyq
Welcome to the forum. I moved homes last year while I was in hospital. I was allowed leave by my psych and with my husband and 3 adult children we moved. It was tough. I was sick with asthma as well as my depression low Lois no motivation. It was an emotional day as I was leaving my family home. It had lots of negative memories which triggered stuff for me.
What i suggest if you can is try to pack one room at a time. Label each box and then do next room. I completely understand how hard it is to move with little kids. Glad to see you have an understanding husband who is taking control. That's good.
Just take things slowly. How much time do you have. When is settlement.
Wishing you all the best. Happy to chat agsin.
Take care 😊

Hi @Lilyq
I'm sorry I just reread your post that you have moved already !!! Sorry my brain is a bit messed up. Are you low motivation in unpacking boxes? Do you like where you've moved to ? It does take time to unpack boxes and put everything away. I remember we took weeks as I was in hospital for a while. My hubby still has boxes in the garage after 8 months!!
Lilyq
Senior Contributor

Hi yep we have moved, I do like the area I have moved to. It's more established so the house is older. Definitely low motivation in unpacking boxes.
I actually haven't been able to do much as I can't think clearly.

Can you do one box st s time @Lilyq
And then maybe have a break. Or even write a to do list and tick off once done.
Take it slowly there's no rush. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.
Take care
Lilyq
Senior Contributor

Sorry I can't do much today as I can't think clearly. Just lying in the couch. I feel awful getting my husband to finish up but I started off packing.

Hell @Lilyq

It sounds like the constancy of life's demands has gotten to you. It is only Easter Tuesday, so you must have been going at the moving for a while. @BlueBay suggestions of taking your time is good.  When I last moved I did it all myself but took over a month to unpack. It did not really matter. Also when your mind is more free you will be able to attend to the tasks and fun of setting up in a new home.  

Lilyq
Senior Contributor

Yep that's true, it just feels like it's been ages since we moved.

Hi @Lilyq .....

We have moved house so many times it makes my head spin.  I was trying to explain to my hubby a couple of nights ago how I reached a point of burnout with it all ......

I potter around putting things back into place now.   I have no get-up-and-go left forputting a house back into good order, especially with teens and 20-something’s still at home, and mi issues on board our family life.  Near enough is good enough for now, and things get done when they get done ..... and if anyone wants it done faster, they can pitch in and help.

Hearing you .....

I know I gave you a welcome to the forums on another thread ..... just want to say it again.  Glad to see you here .....

🌷💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance