Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

aja675
Contributor

Moments when you can't relax yourself

Who else here has them?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Moments when you can't relax yourself

Bump

Hi there @aja675.  Sorry you havent had a response so far, Fridays are sometimes a little quiet around here I think.

When I read your post I went looking for any other posts of yours to try to get some more info.  I see that you experience OCD.  I do too, and understand that inability to relax.  The severity of my OCD varies, depending on how my PTSD symptoms are at the time.  My OCD has, according to my psych, been as a result of trying to cope with my ptsd thoughts and memories.  Certainly I never had any OCD tendencies until after my traumatic event almost 22 years ago.

Speaking of which, with the anniversary of that trauma coming up in only 6 days, my usual anxiety has become particularly high again and along with it, the OCD. To be honest, its driving me completely nuts!

Can you tell me whether you are on medication for your anxiety?  And also whether you've had any therapy at all to help you?  If you havent, then I would recommend that you look into doing so.  See your GP in the first instance, and ask for a referral to a suitable counsellor or therapist.  A mental health care plan may also be appropriate for you, so again, ask your GP.

In the meantime, how can you help overcome  the anxiety and allow yourself to relax, even just a little bit?  Being able to relax will help to reduce the stress and other symptoms that come with anxiety. I know how hard it is though, and I'm still trying to learn methods for myself, with the help of my clinical psychologist.  Everyone is different though, so what works for me, may not for you.  And what is practical for me, may not be for you, and vice versa.  But here are a few things you could try, depending on your circumstances, fitness, likes and availability of facilities.

Mindfulness, meditation, yoga, listening to music, exercise, watch tele preferably comedies, concentrate on a good book rather than your thoughts, keep a diary or journal, do a puzzle such as sudoku crosswords etc, take a relaxing bubble bath, calm your breathing, get some fresh air outside by going for a walk, play a musical instrument, listen to classical music, reduce caffeine in your diet, stay busy.  Basically do anything that you enjoy and which preferably requires your focus.  This forces you to not focus on your anxiety or OCD thoughts.

But one thing is fairly important with OCD - dont fight the thoughts. If the thoughts come, let them, but try not to focus on them.  To fight them will only increase your anxiety.

I hope I've been of some assistance to you.  Wishing you the best.

Sherry Heart  

This is more about generalized anxiety though. At least with the OCD, I could tell myself, "Whatevs, nothing is certain." *shrug* In the case of the generalized anxiety, it's still attacking me even when nothing is truly inducing nervousness. 

Hi @aja675

To find stories similar to your own, please use the Search function and use the @mention function to send a message directly to a member that you want to talk to. There maybe a delay until the member checks their emails. I hope this helps you connect with others.

SP

Thanks for responding @aja675.  Actually the same principles and methods I mentioned for OCD will also help with generalised anxiety. OCD is an anxiety disorder in itself.  I hope you can try some of the things I suggested.  I feel and understand your frustration.  Also you havent said whether you have sought profession assistance of any sort yet. Would you like to tell us a bit more.  Other people may be able to come and help more if we know a little more about you.  Its safe to talk here, if you wish.  Also as @SleepyPanda said, can you tag me next time you reply, as I usually rely on notifications from responders to let me know someone is talking to me.  Just hit the @ button and some names will come up for you to select.  Try that next time.

Sherry

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance