Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

utopia
Senior Contributor

Medication Withdrawal.

Bugger. Bugger. Bugger.

I ran out of my anti depressants and forgot to go to the chemist and get more.

I missed last nights and tonights tablets.

My dosage is WAY ABOVE the recommended dose. So 2 nights without and I am starting to get withdrawal.

I started feeling sick. So i took 2 calming meds that I had from years ago.

Now my hands and body are tingly. And I'm breathing heavy. And feel a bit like the beginning of a panic attack is starting. Haven't had a panic attack in over 3 years since i did EMDR Therapy.

Have been told that it takes up to an hour for the calming tablets to work.

I live in a small county town. So we have no chemist or doctor available and the nearest hospital is 50 minutes away. I am not fit to drive in this condition and have no one to drive me.

Feeling very shaky and teary.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Medication Withdrawal.

Hi @utopia good to see you again. I have been been very little on the forum for past couple of years until just a couple of weeks ago. Hearing what you are going through on your own tonight. I am currently going through a rocky meds change and know the trouble that can happen with withdrawal from ADs. If you would like to talk more in real time now, I am here. 

Thanks @Mazarita . I have been doing really well the past 6 months. Psychiatrist put me on a very very old medication for people when the anti depressants aren't working. And within days of taking the new medicine I went into remission from my Major Depression. So good to feel alive again after 6 and a half years of episodes after episodes of Depression.

But I am still taking my anti depressants as well. So tonight is a bad withdrawal night after 2 missed days.

How are you finding your medication change over?

I used to like to have this done when I was in a hospital stay.

@utopia so great to hear the new medication has been working in a way that nothing has for years before. Accidentally missing doses is something that may happen to a lot of us taking meds from time to time. For me it's usually the same as you, running out of a prescription and not being able to refill it for whatever reason.

Medication changeover side effects have been giving me grief for about 5 months. Various reasons why it's been such a long period of time. Today I started a half dose of a different anti-depressant. Not so good inside myself today.

Sorry to hear you new med isn't doing so great yet. It sucks that it takes time for new meds to work.

@Mazarita 

@utopia I tried to slowly withdraw completely from the AD I had been taking for a lot of years. It seemed in some way to be making things worse. Did that and was amazed to discover as it was reduced to eventually zero, that various troubling physical symptoms I've been having for a long time, and for which I have been tested extensively, have been at the very least greatly excacerbated by being on that med. 

I was hoping to find I did not need the med at all anymore, but instead got into a lot of mental and emotional trouble for two months trying to stay off it. The new one has just started today so don't know how long it will take that to help if it's going to. Usually I start to get some sort of assistance after only a week of being on a new AD.

@Mazarita 

My calming meds are finally kicking in. My withdrawal symptoms aren't as intense.

So I am going to go to bed and try to sleep the night away until the chemist opens in the morning.

Sorry I'm not sticking around to talk with you. But I think sleep is best.

I do hope your new meds start working for you soon. And I thank you for reaching out here tonight for me. I appreciate it.

Wishing you well. ❤

@utopia good one with the calming med. I'm just hanging around forum so no need to feel anything about needing to rest, will be the best thing for you. Not long until things will be settled again with you. Nighty night.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance