Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Chris
Senior Contributor

Just when you think nothing else can go wrong-------

I received a phone from my youngest son asking me to pick him up he sounded upset. I asked what was wrong and he said he would tell me when i picked him up. I was really concerned and its a 3/4 hour drive to get to him. I arranged to pick him up at maccas. However when I got there he wasn't there. I drove around trying to find him.Discovered my phone was flat so went to a service station to use a phone to see if he had made  contact with anyone. went back to maccas still not there. 1 1/2 hrs later i decided to report hom missing. As you can imagine I was beside myself with worry. I thought I was going to loose it in maccas when I used there phone.It took about an hour to do all the paper work and they told me to go back to maccas and wait. anyway just before I left a message came through that he was back at home. All I could say was KIDS. I felt so exhausted and still had the  long drive home. Im just grateful hes ok Its domestic issues so Ill say no more.Should see him tomorrow He may be 33 but he will always be my son and I will always be there for him.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Just when you think nothing else can go wrong-------

@Chris..what a mum you are! Wishing you a peaceful night's sleep before Christmas! So happy your son is OK..and maybe he can explain what went on today at another time..hoping Santa brings you a spare phone charger for your car 🙂

My son just came home to tell us he's been fired for Christmas. His boss didn't even have the guts to tell him to his face. Just a letter in his pay slip saying they don't have enough work, and no reference - nor can he ask for one as the workshop is closed now until 19/1.

I'm pretty sure this is partly due to my son refusing to get on the wokshop roof a couple of weeks ago to clean the "skylights" - aging sheets of brittle fibreglass. He's doing a mechanics apprenticeship. He got sent home early for refusing to do it. I went up there 2 days later and asked his boss about it. He said it was no big deal, I pointed out that if my son was a roofing plumber's apprentice then he'd be expected to get on the roof with a safety harness. He said he's got all his apprentices over the last 20 years to do this job, and I said good thing my son didn't go up there and then fall because otherwise we'd be having a very different conversation.

At least my son's not upset about it - he knows his ex-boss is an OH&S disaster. I just hope it doesn't take too long for him to find another job as a 2nd year aprrentice.

So Merry Christmas!

Cheers, Kristin

PS Chris, sorry to hear about your stress. Kids! Even when they're adults we are still mum. Good on you - I hope things settle down and your son apologises for scaring the crap out of you.

Kind regards,

Kristin

@kristin the situation with your son's employer is Not Good Enough! Methinks might be appropriate to ring Workcover or the Apprenticeship Board as I don't think he can withold a reference..or Fair Work Australia..
Just stinks that he's been let go for doing the right thing and not risking his health and safety.

Mind you, his business is closed for quite an extensive period, maybe there isn't enough work? A lit of businesses reopen after 1st week of Jan.
Wishing you a joyous Christmas with many blessings for you and yours 🙂
Humming oh come all ye faithful..

thanks for the support.Today has been quiet with the family,which was a relief.Hubby had to go to the Drs.He has quiet a bad eye infection.Still don't know what happened with my son, but I guess he will tell me when he gets the opportunity.Hope everyone has had a good day.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance