Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Flying_Hams
Community Guide

It's a joke.... all of this

I can't go to hospital because that is going to tarnish my record. I can't afford that.

Why is MH so feared? why do people treat it like the plague? All I want is a damn job and to earn my keep with the skills I have but it's almost like no one wants to take a chance......

6 REPLIES 6

Re: It's a joke.... all of this

Hey @Flying_Hams , I don't think going to hospital is going to put a black mark on your name and record.  People fear what they don't understand.  Hope your doing alright mate.  

Idk @Gazza75

I think certain government bodies and companies that get information on their candidates have access to medicare records or similar - i know that the information i supply to my GP is shared with third parties. That just makes me anxious about it all.

I think the fact I have a history with MH - regardless of its relatively low impact to say something more serious - is enough to make companies question it....

thanks for your support though

I understand why you might be anxious about it @Flying_Hams .  Goverment MAY have access to some records, but, I seriously doubt companies would.  Criminal records might be different, but, medical information would not be disclosed unless you agreed to it in some way.  The information shared with 3rd parties would be pretty generic  I would imagine.

Have you had feedback from prospective employees referencing your MH?

nah i havent had feedback about it @Gazza75

I'm just concerned because whenever info about health is shared with third parties i get suspicious

@Flying_Hams  if there is a particular job that has said no and didnt have any other reason to say no and did know about your MI then you can always try and put in a complaint because legally it is discrimination and it isnt legal to refuse someone employment because of a helath issue bar certain professions for example people who regualrly faint or such arent allowed to drive trucks. but so long as it is safe to be doing the job they cannot refuse only on the ground that you have a health issue. i am not saying that they dont in practice but that if they do you can take it up with the fair work commission if you wanted. 

If you need to go to hospital,  then go.  You do not need to tell anyone,  friends ETc that you are going to a psychiatric hospital.  Just say hospital. 

3rd party disclose means they can talk to the police or to another hospital,  if you need to be transferred.  They do not tell a future employer or anyone else about your hospital stay.  It is completely private. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance