Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

I need to get past this. It's too much.

We all know therapy, medication and self care is important. There are in between times we just need to get our worries out there and just be people who have problems like most other people. 

I've been on re-curring thoughts trip again. I don't understand why it's happening? I wish I could understand so I could help myself. 

Some of my background. Abusive childhood with severe neglect and abandonment. A sister with a learning disability. The only person in my family I would help. We have no contact sadly. I've had a horrific life. Walked away completely last year. Have no known family at all. 

I don't know whether I'm processing trauma or if I'm feeling my sister? I'm not sure? I'm an empath and highly sensitive. I sometimes sense when someone wants me, is in pain, is trying to reach out but in the past when I've gone to help I've got severely hurt. This time I'm hesitant to reach out. 

My sister was abused too. It's only now that I am beginning to understand her behaviours and why she behaves like she does. What my mother did was disgusting. Obviously my sister and I are different people and handled what she did differently. 

My mother always chose men over us. We were abandoned. My mother and father seperated for the final time when I was about 16. I left home not long after. I'm still trying to process leaving. That left my little sister with my mom. She inflicted the same on my sister when it came to men. It was definitely like she despised motherhood, we were in the way. 

I remember one particular man she was with for years. Long story but I wasn't living at home anymore. By this stage I'd developed a drug and alcohol problem. My sister was neglected for years and not included unless my mother decided she was. I saw my sister's pain and I felt powerless. I had my own pain. Oh gosh, did I develop a deep hatred towards my mother. I wanted to be violent towards her. I wanted to hit her and smash her to pieces. 

Nowadays my sister is manipulative, controlling, and very punishing. It's so toxic that Ok had nothing left to do but leave. I tried for many years to tell my sister, counselling would be a great option. I told my sister that it wasn't about her being a problem, it was talking about things that really hurt her in life. 

My asshole of a mother has her convinced something is wrong with her. That she needs to be on medication. That she needs help. That my sister is abusing her. Everything but looking at what caused my sister to become this way. I want to take my sister away. The thing is my sister even resents me. Anyone that hers my mother's time is resented, excepted the person that caused her damage. 

My mother is/was a very sick woman. She would betray her own children and not just for men. So the last two days, I have wanted to contact my sister. I have not. I've stopped myself. I've worked damn hard these last ten months. I tried to bring my family back together for many years, until the many pennies dropped last year and I cut all contact. My mother hadn't changed when it comes to men. 

People enable her. Whenever my mother needs a place to live and can't find anywhere, she ends up in my sister's garage. The thing is their relationship will always be toxic, until one of them says enough and goes to get help. I also thought if I leave, they do not have me anymore which means they have to at some point look at themselves. I also left because it was best for me. 

I don't know if my mother has a mental illness, she was never diagnosed with anything. Definitely something is wrong with her though. I know from 34 years of abuse that something is wrong. The questions I have are many. Right now though I just don't know what actions to take and how to alleviate some of my pain. 

At some point and over time I will share some more of my story. 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: I need to get past this. It's too much.

I forgot to mention and forgot to say it. I need some strong support right now. I'm in too much pain. I don't even know what I'm doing most days and am forgetting so many things. I don't know how to stop the guilt for not being there anymore. I feel very hopeless. I don't even know what to read to help me feel better. I need strength to go on as I just don't have any at all. 

Here for you @Powderfinger. You're in a really, really difficult patch right now. With everything that's happened, becoming forgetful is probably pretty normal - the memory recall and decision centres of our brains are affected when we're dealing with grief and pain. I'm sorry you feel like you don't have the strength to go on, I'm sending some of mine to you in the hopes it might help, even a little. HeartHeart

@Jynx 

Thanks for talking to me. I've been in some bad places throughout my life. I have to say this is the worst I have ever been. I'm still in the stages of "fighting to stay alive" with very little desire. It's pretty frightening. No everyone, I'm not going to do what seems evident. It's just been too much for one person. I literally cannot have anymore bad things happen to me. I can't take another thing. I'm.mostly hanging out with myself. Im in no shape at this point to be around people too much. I force myself to get out a bit everyday. I'm slowly catching up on all the rest I need. Thank you for sending me some of your strength. Much appreciated. 

@Powderfinger wrote:

I have to say this is the worst I have ever been. I'm still in the stages of "fighting to stay alive" with very little desire. It's pretty frightening. No everyone, I'm not going to do what seems evident. It's just been too much for one person. I literally cannot have anymore bad things happen to me. I can't take another thing. 

Thinking of you, @Powderfinger , as you go through this terrible time. Sending you some more strength, too. Hoping that now you can have some relief from bad things happening, till you can get back on your feet...

@NatureLover thank you. I feel so incredibly broken. I am extremely fragile right now so I'm really not talking much. I'm writing a lot but not talking much. Not cause I don't want to. Everything is just too much. It's been one thing after the other for two years now. Climbing out of this hole is extremely difficult.  Thanks for the strength. 

Sending some love and support to you today @Powderfinger 

❤️🤗🐻🤗❤️

@Eve7 thank you. I do need it. 

Always here for you @Powderfinger plenty of people here support me when I’m in a mess so I am more than happy to support you when I can.

This is a mama bear hug

💜🤗🐻🤗💜

@Eve7 thank you. I'm usually quiet when things are really bad. It's mostly my head is so very badly muddled so I can't talk. In time I will. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance