Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm really struggling atm (negative emotions & irritable)

I'm really struggling with a lot of negative emotions and feeling quite irriatable. I was wondering is this a sign of my depression- I am finding most things a real struggle to do.

As anyone else experienced similar and wondering what as helped?

21 REPLIES 21

Re: I'm really struggling atm (negative emotions & irritable)

I thought you had been quiet @Former-Member, 

i think I have been doing the same a bit. Today I think I realised that this part is depression. I'm taking a stab in the dark in that part of it is starting lots of new things at once. I really don't know but think that is part of what is going on for me. Lots of new commitments edging up the stress just a notch plus being more tired with the extra energy dealing with people and having to concentrate more. Have you managed to have a day of nothing lately to recharge. I think @Faith-and-Hope pyjama day might have its merits. I'm having one today although unplanned I'm starting to come out again slowly. 

I hope you pick up soon but I'm here if you don't (well when I'm not really unwell) 

sending hugs 💜🤗💐🤗💜

Thanks for noticing @Former-Member 

I have taken on board what you have said, I'm just not sure how to move forward from here. I have been down almost a month now. I feel like I am just running all the time (anxiety) and it really depletes my energy levels.

Im not really sure either @Former-Member. I had a frustrated discussion (via a message service) last night about this with my counsellor. I don't really get what to do from here. I can't seem to manage anything any better and still have cycles of being out of control and wanting it to all stop. Are you able to string a few good days in a row? Im sorry I'm not much help. Thinking maybe @utopia might be a good one to call on for this. 

I find when I am struggling with negative emotions I have to work very hard so they dont overwhelm me. Not always successfully. To manage this with composure I may need to lay down for a while.

It seems like it can be a journey to make conscious choices as what to do with any thoughts or insights that come from being in this space. Its not the most comfortable but seems to comes around periodically for me.

Try and limit your exposure to stress while going through it.

Hi @oceangirl. With depression, the mind goes into a tailspin and everything seem to be out of our reach. The least little thing will send you into orbit worrying about what to do. Your emotions run round and round and trying to sort your mind out becomes nightmarish. If possible, try to focus on one thing to keep you 'anchored'. Whatever gives you a feeling of peace. Once you can focus, start looking at what is the easiest thing to do. Maybe go for a bit of a walk, look at the ocean (if possible). Are you near a lake, wander down and just relax with eyes shut. Concentrate on your breathing. Keep a journal to record your 'up' days, when you're not feeling well, have a look at what you wrote when you were coping. Maybe also record your 'down' days, swear if it releases the pent-up emotions. Your emotions are real, as are your feelings and these need to be settled before you will think clearly. When I was going through my 'farcical' marriage break-up, I used to call my ex every name I could think of, some hadn't been heard of for a while, but I resurrected them. My then counselor, now bf was trying to guide me through the haze I was in, I was trying to focus on him, but other factors were in the way. Once I was able to focus on him (bf) my mind cleared and I managed to lift up. Focus on 'steady, calm' and concentrate on breathing. Try to slow your breathing, this will help calm you.

I am new here and read this post in the forum and connected with it. 

I am really struggling with negative emotions. I am teary and just often wonder why bother. The feelings just are so overwhelming at times.

@Maybloom wrote:

I am new here and read this post in the forum and connected with it. 

I am really struggling with negative emotions. I am teary and just often wonder why bother. The feelings just are so overwhelming at times.

These feelings can come thick and fast and usually they are triggered by things a single word, sound, smell or whatever can cause it or it can be a buildup over time till the crash, I am often in a similar place like now though teary not so much emotions are forign and strange and empty or extreme with me 

I agree - the triggers can blindside you. Things can seem good then pow! Am afraid for myself as alcohol and sleeping pills becomming common companions.

I feel similar to you @Former-Member 

I just wish we felt better and I am over feeling so depressed.

In terms of not having any depressive symptoms and feeling somewhat happy- I would say I can't say I do. I mite have a day here and there were I feel brighter and thats been when I have been able to sleep.

You have been of help just to listen and hopefully we can work through this a bit more together.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance