Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Thor33
New Contributor

I'm falling apart

I don't really I know how or what to do here, but I feel the need to talk. I've struggled with depression before, but now it's eating me up and I have nowhere to turn for help. My life as I knew it has been taken from me, my girlfriend of 2 years left me a week before my planned proposal. She said she was unhappy, needed to be happy with herself before she could attempt to make me happy in return. But now she is dating someone new, and I still cry myself to sleep at night. I have debt collectors ambushing me left and right for medical debt I cannot afford, a job that barely pays the bills and that makes me unbearably miserable.. Lately, I've been drinking too much. I have no solid footing at the moment, and I'm clinging to my sanity with white knuckled grip. SOS

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: I'm falling apart

Hi @Thor33

Sounds like things are feeling pretty unbearable at the moment. I'm glad you've found the forums, there are lots of people here who've experienced so many different things and while we cant be in each others heads we can relate to each other in ways that people in real life sometimes cant if they havent experienced similar stuff or mental illness.

I really could feel how desperate you are feeling and it sounds like you have so so much going on for you at the moment, if you are feeling unsafe try calling life line, they have helped me get through many nights (i've never quite understood why nights are the worst times!!). I've also tried the suicide call back line once and it was very helpful.

As bad as things are right now, and how overwhelming they are there are ways to get through it. I recently saw a financial counsellor through lifeline who has helped me to organise reduced payment rates for loans that i have and act on my behalf to speak with some financial things and the relief of that has been enormous. Just having someone to organise with them how i can manage things has helped so much as i am no good with talking with people on the phone... 

I also see my GP or write to my psychologist when things are really tough... would seeing a gp or counsellor be an option for you?

Here listening,

LJ

Nights are always terrible. As far as my option for counselling go, it really comes down to the fact that I need to be able to afford it. I've been looking into assistance, so far to no avail. I appreciate your quick response. I needed that I guess. I'm just really unsure of where to turn.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi,

GP's are a good place to start because if you get a mental health plan you can get 10 medicare funded sessions with a counsellor or psychologist. 

Lifeline are also good at finding you referrals on the phone too if you want to know more options.

There really are ways to get through all of this, though that doesnt take away the pain of everything that youre going through right now. But feelings and the pain of current problems do pass.

LJ

Welcome to the Forums, Thor33. It certainly sounds like you’re in a rough patch right now. With all of that going on, I’m not surprised that you’re feeling pretty down.

In a way, I think it’s encouraging to know that you’ve experienced depression before. That makes me think you must be strong and have some ways of getting through it. I know that doesn’t make things any less painful right now, but perhaps you could remember something that helped in the past?

As Lisajane says, your GP is a great place to start for affordable counseling. They can set you up with a mental health care plan and refer you to a psychologist or counselor.

Helplines can also be really valuable and have the advantage of being available 24/7. The Suicide Callback Service can offer six counseling sessions with the same person, which can be a huge help. Their number is 1300 659 467. Mensline might also be suitable for you. They have free online and video counseling. You can contact them on 1300 78 99 78.

Another way to access free or low cost counseling is through the nearest community mental health centre. I only recently found out that these places exist. They are run by the local government and provide free mental health services to people living in the area. Please be aware that there can be a long wait list, given that the services are free. You can ask your local council about the closest one.

Reaching out can be really hard to do so I’m glad you’ve taken the first step with posting your story here. I hope that being a member of the Forums will help you see that you’re not alone in what you’re going through. I know other members here on the Forums have experience with depression and have been through difficult times. Some that come to mind are @WombatBoots, @Mazarita and @dhr53. Feel free to jump in with any tips @WombatBoots, @Mazarita and @dhr53.

Welcome once again Thor33. I think you’ll find the Forums are a supportive and understanding place where you can share your story and exchange ideas.

All the best with finding the professional support that you’re looking for. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Welcome @Thor33. Sorry you are doing it tough with your life plans and general situation at the moment. I had a broken marriage and broken relationships in the past and know how painful these kinds of crisis time can be. As an ex-bankrupt, I also know from experience how you can be working but not bringing in enough income to pay bills. These were all emotionally traumatic times but are long ago now and certainly seem a lot less intense than they did while they were happening. I'd like to add my voice to the chorus suggesting a GP as a relatively inexpensive place to start in accessing some direct help for your current mental health needs. My depression has definitely been helped over the years by mental health professionals being willing to listen, share the load and help me find tangible ways to improve. The people on this forum have been very helpful too. My well wishes in riding out this rough time and finding renewed peace of mind.

Hello Thor33

I know you are feeling overwhelmed

Same with me too

One thing I have introduced into my day is as many healthy meals as possible

Today I've had two bowls of vegetables
😊
A sense of control admist great sufferring with something simple and positive can help

Why don't you look at preparing some healthy meals as part of your day

Again

I know it is tuff

Only a suggestion

I'm finding taking care of my nutrition can help with my energy levels

I hope you find this a positive suggestion

Welcome to the forums @Thor33

We are really friendly for a bunch of people that talk about being introverted and having social anxiety .. There is something real about people's posts that I have appreciated.

Content/trigger warning
Hi there,
I am sorry that things are feeling so rotten for you Thor33.  Talking to some one is a great way to see your problems from another perspective. Unfortunately you can't change the way a person feels about you, and the pain you feel when they choose to leave can be unbearable. How ever you can bear it because you know in your heart that if they are not happy they weren't right for you. Strategies need to be put in place to sort out your debt problem, is there someone you trust that could help you with this? Take time to care about yourself and enjoy some really simple things in life that give you pleasure. 
This all sounds a bit simplistic, I hope it is helpful a little. Look after yourself
dhr53
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance