Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: I am a carer and being cared for at the same time

Well I would wait a little until the medication kicks in before you do to VCAT as it will just alienate him at this stage. Or if you do go then don't tell him about it for the time being as he seems to be very vulnerable at present. I would also suggest he join a program with a Mental Illness Fellowship to develop some life skills. He needs to find an organisation or support group with like minded people and hopefully he will learn to accept and treat his condition . I can see that he would prefer to live within the general community but there should be a compromise. Supported accommodation with people with similar issues is just that.

Yes Fatima I totally agree with you. Problem is he doesn't want it. He has been with various organisations over the years who have tried to help him but he tells them after a few visits he no longer needs their services. Currently he is with Mind Australia who have managed to get him on the DHS priority housing list. So I am happy that has at least been achieved. I agree the supported accommodation is necessary but he doesn't right now. I am hoping they can stabilise him a bit more and get his agreement. So far the extra drugs don't appear to be working.

As he doesn't accept he has an illness he also doesn't find those who are ill "like-minded". His preference is to live by himself and only deal with online contacts. That's how he was in the last few years living at home. Became a total hermit and hardly left his dwelling but socially very active online because that was easy. You can turn the camera off or phone and retreat. 

As far as VCAT go, he has to sign the forms so it's impossible not to involve him. They will also invite him to the hearing. Last year he didn't want to attend so it was done without him present. And it takes a while. We may need to have something in place fairly quickly if he continues to refuse to return to his current address. 

But the first half of next week are full with medical appointments so i won't be able to start this process in any case until later in the week. Hopefully by then he has started to comply a bit better.

It's great to hear that generally there been some improvements with your son.
What is the reason that he doesn't want to return to the shared house?
Is it because of the argument?

Alot of the problems with the public mental health system have to do with money and a lack of government finding.
It's also a shame that the staff at your sons home are not better trained to deal with situations that involve conflict.
Wherever your son lives though it's really important that he has social contact and maybe he'd be interested in the clubhouses available or peer support.
As you probably know,just having social contact with other people who aren't thinking rationally or have "deluded" belief systems,isn't probably helpful for him in the long run so I hope your having luck getting a Psychologist that your sons comfortable with.

How is your son doing? Does your silence mean things are a little more positive?

Hi mother in need,

Just a quick note to see how you are going

Hi mother in need,

We'd love to hear how you are going. We hope things are looking a little more positive for you?

Hobbit

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance